Why would a ref tell a manager what to do? The internet is nonsense. I can only imagine that he probably asked Emery to calm Jackson down if anything. Probably just shit.
As for the game. It was very clear that Aina felt way more home as a right sided centre back than a wing back. It was something that was speculated on here a few times that he would be fine there. Also who the hell told McGinn who was giving Murillo a hell of a time in the first half to go to the other side and be completely marked out of the game by Ola. Mystifying.
We were dull in the first half and very good in the second. Clearly though people who didn't think schlager was very good might be being a bit obtuse on purpose. He passed my eye test. (yes i need reading glasses but fuck you..). Thought he knitted things together nicely. Also absent was the massive Villa press they asserted in the Europa. I thought McAtee was tidy and certainly useful. Munoz though was every bloody where. Always popping up in space. Nicely found by most. If he had the confidence to attack the goal and shoot he could have had a hatful. Delap was excellent. Rolling the defenders quite often and certainly a composed menace which is quite a contrast to the chaotic menace that was Taiwo. Wood looked a bit embarrassed to come on near the end after that very good performance.
I think the main issue is going to be teams who cotton on to the fact that Schlager is the main conduit from the defence to the attack and once pressed or closed down he could run into trouble. until that time though I have liked what he has contributed. Pity Morgan wasn't slipped through for the third which would have been ace because he is on my fantasy team. Also yes as pointed out, loved the little backheel which reminded me of the Danilo goal against Soton. OH HOW I MISS YOU BARRY!
Murillo got away with a lot. McAtee was a little lucky not to get a second yellow but I was encouraged that he was putting himself about and wasn't being battered like a waif like flower like last season. I am happy with his evolution. The big test will be can he break through a low block because Cov are definitely going to try it next season with their main strikers out.
Emery always looks demented to me. I do love the fact that Glasner has his number. Let's hope that there is tactical flexibility when we run into less rigid teams.
MOM: Hmmm. Munoz was great and so was Delap (lovely goal) but I am going to give it to Ola as he went about his job with quiet purpose and totally shut down that gobshite Scotchman.
Chicago: Less bored.