search
Sign in
  • chevron_right Threads
  • label Discuss
  • label media

Movies

Russ
30 Apr 2023
chat_bubble_outline 957
first_page chevron_left
first_page chevron_left
  • link
    Psychobel
    Squad 1348 posts
    27 Aug 2026, 7:13 a.m. 27 Aug 2026, 7:13 a.m.
    link

    Some films need to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Lord of the Rings. Dune. We have one of the proper big IMAX in Manchester and The Odyssey is almost impossible to get tickets for.

    But also like to do a film at home.

    The End of Oak Street we saw at the cinema. Didnt even deserve a phone screen.

  • link
    JimShady
    Squad 5075 posts
    30 Aug 2026, 11:38 p.m. 30 Aug 2026, 11:38 p.m.
    link

    Saw the new Spiderman film at the cinema. Was excellent. I think they kept the 'baddie' well under wraps. I had no idea who it was until we heard the name.

    I was with a fellow dad from school, more an acquaintance than friend (but the only person who I know that would appreciate the film as much as me). He is one of those people who has no volume control to his voice and he also talks alot, so we (he) got told to shut-up by a bloke in front of us during the trailers. I thought that was a bit OTT to be honest given the film hadn't started, and told the guy as much. Half expected him to be stood at the exit after the film had ended to continue the discussion but he wasn't thankfully.

    Russ will enjoy adding that he doesn't have this problem watching it at home.

  • link
    Psychobel
    Squad 1348 posts
    31 Aug 2026, 8:52 a.m. 31 Aug 2026, 8:52 a.m.
    link

    Watched Tony at our new local hipster theatre. Was a very big fan of Kitchen Confidential and Bourdains career that followed. It tones down a lot of the extremes from the book, a hell of a lot less smack, but does build that love of food.
    Liked it a lot.

    Resident_Alien likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    19 Sep 2026, 2:24 a.m. 19 Sep 2026, 2:24 a.m.
    link

    In The Grey is a very Guy Ritchie movie. Slick and blasty with some very entertaining performances. Completely forgettable but a perfect way to spend 100 minutes on a Friday night.

    Psychobel likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    Psychobel
    Squad 1348 posts
    19 Sep 2026, 9:01 a.m. 19 Sep 2026, 9:01 a.m.
    link
    @Russ has written:

    In The Grey is a very Guy Ritchie movie. Slick and blasty with some very entertaining performances. Completely forgettable but a perfect way to spend 100 minutes on a Friday night.

    Beer film. Watched it. Enjoyed it. Dont remember it.
    Mind you, im increasingly senile.

  • link
    Resident_Alien
    Squad 942 posts
    19 Sep 2026, 4:21 p.m. 19 Sep 2026, 4:21 p.m.
    link

    For a second I thought you wrote “The Grey.” Very much not a Guy Ritchie film.

    I watched They Will Kill You. Echo almost everything Russ said about it. I especially liked the beginning fight that was shot like a martial arts movie.

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    20 Sep 2026, 3:01 a.m. 20 Sep 2026, 3:01 a.m.
    link

    I didn't love the Nobody movies as much as many seemed to, Odenkirk seems like a good dude but it feels a bit hubristic of him to expect us to buy him as an killing machine. Thankfully Normal is a bit better, it's still packed with violence and action but it's far less focused on him being an unstoppable badass, it has some very fun and funny scenes,

    (the bank robbery is brilliant and I wish we'd had more of Lori and Keith)

    and Wheatley directs some terrific carnage.

  • link
    Psychobel
    Squad 1348 posts
    21 Sep 2026, 10:38 p.m. 21 Sep 2026, 10:38 p.m.
    link

    Resident Evil
    Wont change your life, will entertain you. Enough gamer tropes without laying on too much cheese.

  • link
    Resident_Alien
    Squad 942 posts
    21 Sep 2026, 10:47 p.m. 21 Sep 2026, 10:47 p.m.
    link

    I preferred Nobody to Normal. Normal had some good ideas but it was all a bit uneven for me. I do like Ben Wheatley’s stuff as a rule, though.

  • link
    Simon
    Squad 8660 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 4:13 p.m. 23 Sep 2026, 4:13 p.m.
    link

    Send Help is very entertaining.

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    26 Sep 2026, 12:06 a.m. 26 Sep 2026, 12:06 a.m.
    link

    I'm halfway through Mickey 17 and once again reminded that I don't like Bong Joon Ho movies anything like as much as many seem to.

  • link
    RC
    Squad 1898 posts
    26 Sep 2026, 8:26 a.m. 26 Sep 2026, 8:26 a.m.
    link

    Ruffalo chews the fuck out of the scenery in that one. It gets a bit ropey anyway, but his telegraphing “hey, Donald Trump is a prick, right!?” Is just way too much.

    There’s a similar animated short on the Secret Level series on Amazon which is sort of similar, but much better. You won’t like it tho because it’s a cartoon.

  • link
    Psychobel
    Squad 1348 posts
    29 Sep 2026, 10:57 p.m. 29 Sep 2026, 10:57 p.m.
    link

    Kraven the Hunter is bad 80s action movie bad.

first_page chevron_left
arrow_upward Go to top
  • Return to Home
  • Turnstile
  • Turdle
  • Talkdash
  • Terms of service
The Daily Cut and Thrust at trentend.uk powered by misago