• 10 Apr 2024, 8:43 p.m.

Does that make Steve, Juanjo, Tricky et al Wilfordsexuals?

• 10 Apr 2024, 8:51 p.m.

EBP is probably the closest we've got to an expert on sexual deviancey here, ask him.

• 10 Apr 2024, 8:59 p.m.

No, I'll pass thanks. Not quite sure why he's tolerated on here but I'm not encouraging it.

• 10 Apr 2024, 9:54 p.m.

Which forest fans? The ones in Ireland who liked what cloughie did, and came over here every other week. Or the ones who liked that we were one of the biggest clubs at the time, and didn't get involved much beyond the glory hunting? Or the ones with a connection to Nottingham, that regularly go. Or the ones that have the same roots, but don't?

Then there is the difference between a fan "yeah, I like them. Where do they play?", and a supporter ( contribute on an ongoing basis emotional and/or financial support ).

The notion that all fans are equal is a clear nonsense. But clubs value all potential revenue productive units, and will market to them equally without prejudice, and without being publicly disparaging. Because wonga. The tourist that spends a season tickets worth of cash in one match day package is of equal financial value to the club as a local season ticket who brings a flask and sandwiches. But football as we know it is dead the day that tourists are all there is. Football as we ( think we) know it relies on local fans turning out of work early on a Saturday, to watch a match. Everything else is a change that depends on other things than those that bound clubs and supporters together in the first place.

You can be a dedicated supporter, go to every game, but still be a retard who smells. It doesn't make you a better, more sought after, human being. It's a lot smarter to swan in once a season for a pre-match buffet and chat with a legends host, watch in nice padded seats in air conditioned comfort, and have the club tell you that you are equally as good a fan. But it aint proper football.

The more successful a club that you are for longer, the more disconnected and plastic the fanbase will be. ... and the more income and success the club will generate. But it aint proper football.

It's not a particular badge of honor to be plastic free. It just means that you've probably been crap for ages. The modern game is all about financial turnover from it's global income streams. The communities that birthed the clubs, nourished them, created their identities, and the success of the pyramid and the very game itself are no longer the most important component of a modern turnover centric club. But it aint proper football.

Being a certain grade of fan isn't a competitive achievement. It's a very double edged sword. You are the worlds biggest sad sack, who follows your shit no mark club all over the place to see it get it's arse handed to it on a platter, without a hint of success, or even playing decent football. Ever.

Congratulations, you are the best fan.

Personally I've been happy to be the worst fan for many years now. Which I think puts the modern game in a more appropriate place. ...But it aint proper football.

Anyway, to answer your question. It's not about forest fans. Fans in the traditional sense are dinosaurs. They are being smothered to death. It's just that most of them don't notice that they are being starved of oxygen. The vast majority of fans are now allocated proportionately to the most financially successful clubs. A large portion are allocated to the most successful FIFA player brands. Legacy fan version 1.0 have been deprecated. The fucking idiots still think it's football, rather than the sports marketing arm of a string of international crime conglomerates.

Manure fans are the most obvious example of the modern fan. Attached to the biggest brand, the biggest club, in world football. Unfortunately with actual football something a bit like crystals pale arse, albeit referee assisted to boost the numbers. Feeling like they've been sold a pup, and constantly whining about how they deserve better, because they are man united. Right.

Forest fans are exactly the same. We just get fewer of them year on year, and it will take them longer to flush legacy fan 1.0 away.

• 11 Apr 2024, 8:12 a.m.

It seems like you can dismiss the concept of a “proper fan” and accept the fact that the modern fan comes in many forms with varying levels of entitlement. But you attribute this evolution to the concept that modern football (perhaps sport in general, but football in particular) has evolved to become a vehicle for other interests/soft power/nefarious activity which means it’s not “proper football.”

However, I would argue that football has forever been corrupt and a vehicle for political control. Just look at Franco’s relationship with Real Madrid in the 60’s or Mussolini’s desire to make the Italian national team World Cup winners in the 1930’s. It’s true for sport in general….Bread and Circuses and all that. Are we not just seeing a more evolved version of that? With a commensurate change in the nature and behaviour of a fan.

• 11 Apr 2024, 8:37 a.m.

For a hundred years of football history, that made it the game that it was, football teams were primarily linked with the communities from which they sprung. Modern football clubs are largely globally owned, and connected primarily to their finances.

I do not recognise my football club now, as the football club that I connected with.

Of course people seeking money and influence will always exploit elements of society. You only need to look at where this country is now. That doesn't change the fact that football clubs and the football pyramid, is radically different to the game when I chose to invest in it. As it is now, I wouldn't.

• 11 Apr 2024, 9:39 a.m.

As a society, it’s been quite some time since we have been community-led/linked/driven (thanks Maggie). Football is one of many examples of that.

Actually, there are limitations to that philosophy. Take Yorkshire Cricket Club as a working example. Community linkage does not prevent exploitation/corruption/general dodginess. I also remember the time when fans were suspicious and abusive to darkies and forrins. So I don’t miss that part of “community linked”

As for ownership: Money in general is more global. I’d warrant that people’s savings/investments/pensions are widely invested and plenty of people work for global companies. Your assertion is that without local money/linkage, there is less flow of resource down the pyramid and less engagement with the local community. The former may be true but it’s difficult to prove the latter given the changes in modern society.

There are many elements of globalisation of football (and life) that I like. I’m not naive enough to think that comes without a price. But I have as much of an ethical problem with the fascist past of Real Madrid as I do with the Saudi backing of Newcastle.

• 11 Apr 2024, 10:21 a.m.

Sure...but now you have almost all clubs not being for, or connected, to local communities (at least in the 'ship). Rather than having your club, and look at Real Madrid over there. It's now a complete shower of shit, and look at Luton over there.

As a for example....all of the major UK media channels led with champions league games last night. No brits were involved. A key game at the head of the top flight of the football league was a footnote. That is globalisation, and not being connected to local clubs. That is not what used to happen. It's a process delivery that persuades 'people' that the 'big' games are the european league games. I don't feel that. I am primarily interested in how my community club does against it's league rivals. On a broadly level playing field. I have a curiosity about how the best of those do against the best of other countries leagues...but not as a more 'important' league played in preference to local competition. I could not give a fuck how seventh in the top flight of england does against a string of european club equivalents of moldova. It is very much not important to me at at all. But money.

Now of course you are entirely at liberty to feel differently to me...but for me it has tipped over into the things that I am actually interested in about it no longer being true/real/tangible.

For me the FA cup, and what it represents in the development of the game, and meritocratic opportunity it provides for community clubs to pit themselves against other community clubs, is hugely important. Except it isn't, because it's been intentionally trashed. I'm not massively interested in what a large greek bloke does to shine the largest possible spotlight on himself by breaking the rules and throwing his weight around, while having a revolving trapdoor of players and managers. It's just not what interests me about football. At. All.

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:12 a.m.

There is a lot to unpick there.

1. The Champions League, whatever its faults, is the biggest club competition in the world and there will be genuine interest in seeing those games, whether it’s for the big name players or the quality of the football or the potential opponents to the English clubs. I agree there should be more interest in which club with enormous parachute payments gets promoted (back) to the Premier League. But that logic would say we should not prioritise any game in which we have no direct link. But I’ve watched every minute of every World Cup final since I was 10 years old and have never had a dog in the fight.

2. As for the Europa Conference League or the Europa League, I have several mates who are (“proper”) fans of either West Ham and Wolves who have immensely enjoyed their road trips to places in Europe they had barely heard of and never visited. I’m not old enough to have gone away to Arges Pitesti but would give it a bash if we were lucky enough to qualify. I don't think these competitions replace anything, they add to it (and put some pressure on resource and time) and provide a distraction.

3. What’s your working definition of a community club? When does it stop being one?

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:17 a.m.

Have you recently been made redundant Guru? Are you laying by the pool perhaps?

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:26 a.m.

I haven’t. I do find this topic of interest.
    If I was laying by the pool, a football debate with tricky would not be on my mind.

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:27 a.m.

Work out your ultimate fan score today!

(Ave number pints of Madri consumed before kick off x games this season x number of this seasons shirts purchased)/how many miles form the ground you live = your ultimate fan score

Ingo = 32

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:45 a.m.

I'm a zero due to the Madri. Which seems harsh.

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:47 a.m.

I saw something (could be rubbish but seemed plausible) that viewing figures for the Championship game on Tuesday night were more than the combined viewers for the City and Arsenal game.

• 11 Apr 2024, 11:48 a.m.

And also thinking more, how do away games factor into the average distance to the ground?