• 13 Jul 2024, 12:30 p.m.

Yes, they said we'd get a full refund, which is nice. Good day, some cricket then an impromptu pub crawl.

• 13 Jul 2024, 1:36 p.m.

Having a football pitch for a garden is quite cool, but I’d prefer the whole indoors if it was on fire. A no from me.

• 13 Jul 2024, 1:51 p.m.

Imagine having an ego that big that you need to put your initials on your own pitch. Tosser.

• Squad
    13 Jul 2024, 2:30 p.m.

I think I’m the opposite, hate the idea of a pitch in the garden. Especially one with initials on it. Inside is smart, spacious and modern, whilst lacking character,

• 14 Jul 2024, 12:47 a.m.

Had an evening up Bozza Castle tonight. They were doing a night of the proms thing with an orchestra and occasional singers performing classics plus the odd film score. Frankly a marvellous evening. On the way in I bumped into an old high school friend whom I used to sit behind in the school orchestra (we were both cellists). I gave up through lack of talent and interest. He's a semi-professional and it was great to watch him play from the front rather than my old view of the back of his head. Not the greatest night weather wise, but still wonderful to be able to stroll 10 minutes to a gig in the grounds of a castle and enjoy an evening of classical music performed superbly.

• 15 Jul 2024, 7:46 p.m.

Bought a new laptop. It's a recent (couple of years old) model, still available at retail in some places. It's a decade more recent than any other computer I have. I was due. Largely because I need something that runs windows 11, for testing purposes.

• 15 Jul 2024, 7:56 p.m.

Microsoft keeps telling me that my laptop isn't W11 compliant and that support runs out in October 2025. In recent years I've moved away from Linux and now all but my Plex server run Windows, but I might switch this to Linux when MS put the gun to my head.

• 15 Jul 2024, 8:07 p.m.

I shall be putting linux on to dual boot. I actually can't stand using windows...but I need it sometimes. I've got a number of other machines. I've currently got ten in this room with me. 3 of them can dual boot into windows, the rest are 100% linux (but six of them are servers...and you'd have to be mad to run a server using windows). Even the dual boot machines default into linux. Windows gets booted for testing or where an installation of something requires windows.

I have this one earmarked for fedora with gnome, as it's a 2in1 and can open up like a tablet. Gnome gives the best finger pokey experience, and fedora has the most up to date and best integrated gnome. The old machines get ubuntu budgie, which is both compact, but also brilliant. The servers get headless debian.

I have some nice desktops that I bought cheap because they wont upgrade to windows 11 (Dell optiplex 3040/5040's) that are completely linux (debian) and are used for server testing deployments.

• 19 Jul 2024, 3:14 p.m.

In other news my new (windows afflicted) laptop has been issued with a tracking number. Delivery by inpost.

What the merry fuck is that, and what does it do?

• 19 Jul 2024, 9:29 p.m.

Good luck tracking it.

• 19 Jul 2024, 11:09 p.m.

I have something on it's way to me with InPost too. It is the first time I have even heard of it.
    I looked at my tracking information and they appear to work on things a lot!

17th July 1:06pm It's landed at our warehouse.
    17th July 1:12pm It's on the move.
    18th July 2:55am We're working on it.
    18th July 8:13am It's on the move.
    19th July 10:31am We're working on it.
    19th July 4:23pm We're working on it.
    19th July 9:34pm We're working on it

I have no idea whether it will ever stop being worked on and actually be delivered, or whether they have a good/bad reputation.

• 19 Jul 2024, 11:16 p.m.

I am hoping they don't work on my stuff. Just bring it to me. That's literally their job. Oh, and preferably without too much chucking it about in the back of the van.

• 20 Jul 2024, 6:02 a.m.

DX drove over one of our parcels with a forklift last week.

• 20 Jul 2024, 11:46 a.m.

Literally working on it.

• 20 Jul 2024, 1:56 p.m.

My Inpost order has been delivered. By Royal mail, with broken packaging. But in one of their nice, clear, protective bags and an apology sticker. I'm sure it's fine it wasn't fragile (unlike a laptop)