• 26 Sep 2023, 1:42 p.m.

You sir are a serial killer.

I have taken the attitude that all animals serve a purpose and I will do my very level best not to kill them. People on the other hand….

Chicago: Man of conscious.

• 26 Sep 2023, 1:44 p.m.

I would have thought that killing breakfast foods is okay?

• 26 Sep 2023, 8:19 p.m.

I recognise most of these words but don’t have a clue what you’re on about

• Squad
    26 Sep 2023, 8:23 p.m.

You’ve probably slayed a few sausages in your time.

• 29 Sep 2023, 1:02 a.m.

Normal shit at football tonight. Lots of huffing around the pitch too slow, and too late. There was this one pass on the run though. Three defenders converging, played it perfectly between them at a cushioned weight, on the perfect line for a teammate on an angled run to meet it, and turn it home. It was a work of art. I still get goosebumps from those little unbelievable moments. Despite playing fifty years of almost unmitigated shite.

• 30 Sep 2023, 12:19 p.m.

I shaved on tuesday. It's saturday lunchtime. I now have a five o'clock shadow.

• 1 Oct 2023, 5:29 p.m.

Changed the screen protector on my phone. It was straightforward, and went without hitch.

• 2 Oct 2023, 11:53 p.m.

I will be on a stand at the NEC for the next 3 days.

• 3 Oct 2023, 3:51 a.m.

I don't have to do it much these days but I used to really hate being a booth bitch, not least because we inevitably got blotto every night of a show and spent the day on the stand trying not to vomit. An old boss of mine used to say "if you're going to get drunk with the boys, you have to get up with the men". I wasn't good at following that instruction.

Earlier this year I did three days in a hospitality suite where it's literally your job to get drunk with clients, and that was bad enough.

• 3 Oct 2023, 5:56 a.m.

I used to have to go to represent my employer at Big National Conference. I enjoyed ambling around the event, and, as one of the big players, we tended to always put on a big show (we had an F1 car on the stand one year). Generally the hall was quiet during the ‘sessions’ and then a big rush of activity during the breaks when the clientele would descend looking for freebies. So I’d just make myself scarce for those bits. I could do the full three days and not get near someone I didn’t already know and need have a functional conversation with.

I have a lot of issues with the how salespeople are often regarded and remunerated relative to all the other people who make businesses successful (*)… but I am very impressed with how people can attend those things and make real and productive connections. It is a talent.

(* there are brilliant salespeople who are absolute guns, can open doors that few can, and who need to be loved and showered with gold.. and are well worth it.. but most are nothing of the sort, but get the same treatment anyway because perceptions are so warped by the few that are the real deal. See, also, ‘rockstar CEO’s’)

• 3 Oct 2023, 6:39 a.m.

The last few years we've done 4 days at the NEC and a couple of other 2 dayers. I quite enjoy it if it's busy and paying. We've got a decent flyer that draws people back so i play a little game with myself getting it in a disinterested persons hand, acknowledging their reluctance, then when they read the leaflet out of politeness they turn round and I'm greeting them with a sarcastic grin. Seems to work for me.

The last hour is a slog when the feet hurt and it's gone dead but other than that as long as footfall is decent I like being out and meeting people.

• 4 Oct 2023, 5:03 a.m.

Switched my mobile provider. The number transfer went through in about five minutes and the old provider has automatically closed my account, so all very smooth.

Slightly annoyed at the new provider limiting passwords to 15 characters, therefore forcing me to override the password suggested by my phone. Still, overall a good experience.

• 4 Oct 2023, 7:39 a.m.

The Expo is construction industry and there is very little in the way of after show parties which is quite the surprise. I was at eCom Expo at the Excel last week and there was a veritable battle to pour alcohol down punters next on every show day. this show is a little dull. Footfall is down and there arent that many of our target market about. It will be worse today thanks to the rail strikes but power to the people and down with the Tory Mandem.
    I've got a speaker slot tomorrow and finishing the presentation is what I should be doing now instead of writing this post.

• 4 Oct 2023, 7:50 a.m.

Run out of cat food. Cat's not happy. Will pick some up on the way back from the school run.

• 4 Oct 2023, 11:12 a.m.

We have also run out of cat food. And cat litter. I'm due at the doctor's at noon so we'll stop at Bozza Mozza on the way back.

• 4 Oct 2023, 12:31 p.m.

We have never run out of cat snap or shit try consumables since that dark day in 2021 when that episode demonstrated in no uncertain terms that if the cat's staple requirements are in any way not met following my agreement to take responsibility for such at any given specific time, there would be fucking hell to pay.

I have never accepted such responsibility since the abovementioned.