search
Sign in
  • chevron_right Threads
  • label Discuss
  • label mundane

Foody thread

Russ
21 Aug 2023
chat_bubble_outline 228
first_page chevron_left
first_page chevron_left
  • link
    Guru
    Squad 1845 posts
    19 Apr 2026, 10:10 p.m. 19 Apr 2026, 10:10 p.m.
    link

    Mrs Guru had a similar thing with skate. Used to love it, then had something dodgy and since then has never been able to eat it. No recovery so far.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    19 Apr 2026, 10:25 p.m. 19 Apr 2026, 10:25 p.m.
    link
    @Muswell has written:

    About 8 years later. We had friends over for dinner and they bought Oysters, tried one and no repercussions - given we live by the water now we have them regularly and I’m right as rain.

    My redemption arc was agreeing to review oyster eating for radio five live, after several years not getting on with them. Was perfectly fine, and got a very nice big box of them free - multiple dozens (given the production standards at the time, I'm pretty sure they had no idea how many they'd actually ordered).

    Couldn't really be arsed with them after that though...hardly a 'favourite' to order, and cleaning and shucking dozens of oysters gets a bit tedious.

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    25 Jun 2026, 8:22 p.m. 25 Jun 2026, 8:22 p.m.
    link

    Kitchen is packed up ahead of moving tomorrow and I've spent the last few days trying to eat as much opened stuff as possible so as not to have to throw it out or move with it. Combinations are getting increasingly odd, I'm currently snacking on tortilla chips with mango chutney and habanero sauce. Surprisingly not bad.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    25 Jun 2026, 9:45 p.m. 25 Jun 2026, 9:45 p.m.
    link

    A tricky diet, for sure.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    31 Jul 2026, 1:16 p.m. 31 Jul 2026, 1:16 p.m.
    link

    A while ago, picked up some cheap packs of brandy soaked dried fruit (contradictory!). I've got one leftover, that I didn't use, and was thinking of maybe some sort of cake or sponge type dessert to use them up.

    Anyway, they are best before end of september 2023. Apparently.

    Thoughts?

  • link
    Ingo
    Squad 3294 posts
    31 Jul 2026, 1:25 p.m. 31 Jul 2026, 1:25 p.m.
    link

    I'm in.

    BrettWilliams likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    JRs_Cigarette
    Squad 2979 posts
    31 Jul 2026, 1:40 p.m. 31 Jul 2026, 1:40 p.m.
    link

    A bottle of Brandy wouldn't have an expiry date so I reckon you're good.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    1 Aug 2026, 10:42 a.m. 1 Aug 2026, 10:42 a.m.
    link

    Had the first slice of the fruitcake as breakfast. Will let you know if it kills me.

  • link
    BrettWilliams
    Squad 3159 posts
    1 Aug 2026, 11:49 a.m. 1 Aug 2026, 11:49 a.m.
    link

    See you in the Brown Bread thread then, shortly. Go well, Tricky.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    2 Aug 2026, 10:26 p.m. 2 Aug 2026, 10:26 p.m.
    link

    Several slices into the fruitcake, over a few days. Works quite well as a breakfast bar. I'm actually losing weight on it (because it lets me cut out a meal).

    Not dead yet.

  • link
    Dave_Rave
    Squad 4895 posts
    2 Aug 2026, 10:49 p.m. 2 Aug 2026, 10:49 p.m.
    link

    Several years ago we went to Mrs Rave's parents on Boxing Day. At one point her Mum approached with said dessert and asked 'do you like fruitcake?'
    I replied 'well, I have been her for 8 years...'

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    10 Sep 2026, 8:02 p.m. 10 Sep 2026, 8:02 p.m.
    link

    Made a sandwich of a burger bun filled with leftover sautéed potatoes and slices of Monterey jack cheese. I'm not proud of myself. I'm going to make another one though.

    BrettWilliams and JRs_Cigarette like this.

    favorite 2

  • link
    Jake
    Squad 2560 posts
    12 Sep 2026, 10:11 p.m. 12 Sep 2026, 10:11 p.m.
    link

    One of my favourite Thai dishes is Larb. My wife is Northern Thai, and when visiting her parents we would always have a version of Larb made from local river fish (I'll call it Larb Pla). I always loved it, but could never find it in local restaurants, the closest thing being the North Eastern Larb Pla Duk made from Cat Fish.

    After four years in the UK, we were in the supermarket and I asked my wife if she's considered making Larb out of tinned salmon. She gave it a go, and it came out good, but lacking a bit of zing. Tonight, she's done it. A large tin of salmon mixed with a small tin of anchovies plus the toasted ground rice, chillies, mint, onions, fish sauce and lemon juice. With sticky rice, spring onions and crunchy green beans, or wrapped in Sweet Chinese Leaf. Banging.

    RC, Psychobel, Dave_Rave and 2 other users like this.

    favorite 5

  • link
    Dave_Rave
    Squad 4895 posts
    12 Sep 2026, 11:33 p.m. 12 Sep 2026, 11:33 p.m.
    link

    Live love larb.

    RC and Resident_Alien like this.

    favorite 2

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    20 Sep 2026, 5:51 p.m. 20 Sep 2026, 5:51 p.m.
    link

    Experimenting with a slightly stiffer batter and lower temps in an attempt to make bigger, fluffier pancakes. Not sure it's working.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    20 Sep 2026, 5:55 p.m. 20 Sep 2026, 5:55 p.m.
    link

    More rising agent, higher temps, make sure you let the batter rest?

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    20 Sep 2026, 6:10 p.m. 20 Sep 2026, 6:10 p.m.
    link

    With you on the first, went with lower temps because I want the inside to cook before the outside chars, with you on the last. I'd call it a moderate success.

  • link
    Charlie
    Squad 2397 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 10:23 a.m. 23 Sep 2026, 10:23 a.m.
    link

    Making green tomato chutney for the first time.

  • link
    Charlie
    Squad 2397 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 11:46 a.m. 23 Sep 2026, 11:46 a.m.
    link
    @Charlie has written:

    Making green tomato chutney for the first time.

    And very tasty it is too.

    BrettWilliams and Psychobel like this.

    favorite 2

first_page chevron_left
arrow_upward Go to top
  • Return to Home
  • Turnstile
  • Turdle
  • Talkdash
  • Terms of service
The Daily Cut and Thrust at trentend.uk powered by misago