• 30 Jul 2024, 8:17 a.m.

Cards on phones can be secured by the phone lock, but I saw one instance where the tourist was observed unlocking the phone by PIN before it was nicked.

There was a lot of money lost there. They had linked debit and credit cards.

Face unlock would have worked way better.

• 30 Jul 2024, 8:58 a.m.

.... Or it stopped working because you dropped it in the bog, on the drive, the battery ran out, an update borked it, the lack of an update borked it, the antenna stopped working, it wouldn't let you log in, someone hid your phone because it's funny, Russians.

On a pure risk analysis there are so many extra modes of failure for phone wallets versus actual cards in a physical wallet. Plus I can show someone something on my phone, or let them use it, without having to give them my wallet.

This is one of those things. Despite what they might have told you, it's for them, not for you.

• 30 Jul 2024, 9:10 a.m.

Or fingerprint as I use.

• 3 Aug 2024, 4:10 p.m.

Shot an 86, my best ever round.

• 3 Aug 2024, 4:30 p.m.

What music did Wayne and Dwayne have on the Bluetooth speaker?

• 3 Aug 2024, 4:52 p.m.

No Wayne and Drew today, back with my usual crowd (which includes Dwayne). There was music but it was 80s/90s soft rock, which I would still prefer not to have but isn't anything like as irritating as country music.

• 4 Aug 2024, 8:38 a.m.

Power ballards got me a 26 at parkrun yesterday, clearly it's what team GB are missing.

• 4 Aug 2024, 9:25 a.m.

Any z list celebs there that you need identifying?

• 4 Aug 2024, 1:27 p.m.

All the celebs in Loughborough are currently in Paris I'm afraid Rave.

• 4 Aug 2024, 2:19 p.m.

The Celeb Detective will enjoy a quiet weekend, despite never actually being off duty.

• 5 Aug 2024, 6:08 p.m.

Went to the driving range this afternoon, almost 18 months since I last hit a ball. Pleased to discover I'm no worse than I was before. But also no better.

• 14 Aug 2024, 12:02 p.m.

Windscreen replaced this morning. Marvelous.

• 22 Aug 2024, 11:15 p.m.

Yesterday secured an 18 month fixed term contract at the local council - sorting out a load of mess created by policies of the previous government. Yay to the Tories!

First proper post teaching work, it is going to be interesting how industrious I'm expected to be compared to previous employment. This job is 1 day a month in the office, the rest work from home. They're coming around to fit a desk and wire a cable from my modem to my chosen home office location next week. A world away from my 1970s temporary build classroom constructed of cement and asbestos.

In other news, despite repeatedly being told my performance was not satisfactory over the past 2 years, my students of Chemistry GCSE have achieved 27% A-A and 94% A-C, both significantly above the science department average, school average and my personal targets. I didn't do things the way the school demanded, but my students enjoyed it and succeeded. The teaching profession has lost it's way. So happy to be out of it.

• 23 Aug 2024, 12:41 a.m.

My parents were both teachers. Mum tought French. She used to come home complaining about how could she teach French to kids who struggled with English - and this wasn't a multiculture issue - this was Wigston, Leicestershire in the 80s when her classes were predominately white, poor and having been failed by their parents and junior schools. She used to use a cardboard clock with big hands to teach the time in French. She realised that these kids didn't understand telling the time in English.
    Dad was a High School Deputy Head. He took Maths, refereed rugby, umpired cricket, ran the lunchtime chess club and computer club. They spent their entire careers trying to educate kids. I'm glad they retired when they did. I'm also glad that Jake made a difference - and then got out as well.

• 23 Aug 2024, 7:47 a.m.

Congrats on the gig but…. Why??

I don’t know the facts at all.. but that doesn’t half fit the classic image of needless bureaucracy, cost, and technological backwardness our councils are famed for.

S’nice of them though, like.