• 5 Sep 2024, 2:30 a.m.

yes that’s great if running is an option, for many of us its not, as our knees/ankles are fucked, as someone who the Dr told me 2 years ago, its arthritis nothing you can do, so just accept it, even though I couldn’t walk 200 yards without being in agony.. you either get fat or you embrace the MAMIL lifestyle, your only jealous as we all look better in Lycra than you… I’m now far healthier than I have been in the past 15 years and since my “diagnosis’ 2 years ago I’ve dropped 2 stone, still larger than I’d like but heading in the right direction.

I also beg to disagree flying downhill is fun, even more so if its a really twisty mountainside that your heading down. I’m very fortunate that in most of the areas I ride there is very little traffic, based on my past experiences in the uk I would share your concern about other drivers.

As Jim mentioned it’s very easy to find a club, just look on Facebook or use Strava, I often ride on my own, partly because of work but more and more I ride with others. Just don’t expect Shady to ever to give you kudos for a ride.

Mus: 25 miles tonight at 19.5mph average

• 5 Sep 2024, 2:52 a.m.

A) the only people who look good in lycra are hot chicks

B) I've been lifting fairly seriously for two years now, I promise you you do not

• 5 Sep 2024, 7:06 a.m.

In the 15 or so years off the gym the advancements in Lycra technology are nothing short of remarkable.

• 5 Sep 2024, 7:41 a.m.

All this my cult is better than your cult must be really useful with regard to knee surgery.

• 5 Sep 2024, 7:53 a.m.

In other medical news I had an ultrasound last week. Good - I don't have cancer. Bad - I do have this. It's pretty uncomfortable.

www.mkuh.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflet/varicocele

Got a post-scan Dr appointment today. Reading online seems I might need an op. Great.

Pretty sure this has come about from cycling, on a hard seat / often bumpy roads, and not wearing padded cycling shorts. Wear cycling shorts people.

• Squad
    5 Sep 2024, 8:13 a.m.

Seats in my SUV are very comfy…

(Hope your nuts get better Jim)

• 5 Sep 2024, 9:05 a.m.

I do not agree. Get them out of the lycra, I say.

• 5 Sep 2024, 12:17 p.m.

I agree, it's a daft argument and it's pretty much always cyclists starting it. I'm pro cycling as a fitness regimen and said as much, I simply explained why having done it for a while it's not for me.

Also your average MAMIL would rather spend $200 on a carbon fibre bottle cage to shave 30g off their bike than spend a few hours a week in the gym and the kitchen to shave 30lbs off their gut. And if they take it seriously enough cyclists end up with puny upper bodies and look like they'd struggle to compete with a stiff breeze.

Actually, fuck cycling. Stupid idea.

• 5 Sep 2024, 12:22 p.m.

Also it gives you lumpy balls.

Morning Jim!

• 5 Sep 2024, 12:29 p.m.

Look mum...look what the cyclists have done. They talked to me!

In other news it's possible to be a cyclist and totally buck your cliche. Although I do wear lycra. Largely because it's appropriate fitness wear for the exercise in question, the padded shorts stop me having elephantine testicles, and it is definitely more comfortable while biking than a three piece suit and top hat. Although Shades might disagree when it comes to comporting himself about sunny sheffield on his penny farthing.

I note your use of 'average'. Although in matters of propelling myself by the mechanism of self-cranking my wheels, I am definitely bang average.

Which reminds me, my headset has come loose on one of my bikes, must apply spanners before I go out on it again.

• 5 Sep 2024, 12:52 p.m.

I know lots and lots of cyclists (not a boast, many of them are twats) but out of those maybe 200 people, I can think of one guy who would spend shed loads of cash on something like that, and I can suspect two others who might. That’s not very ‘average’.

• 5 Sep 2024, 12:56 p.m.

Yes yes yes. Please sit down and be quiet while I goad the MAMIL with his carbon fibre race weapon and his ridiculous claims of looking good in lycra.

• 5 Sep 2024, 1:13 p.m.

Can you imagine if these last few pages were put in the exercise thread. I suppose it wouldn't be talkback if you could keep to the script. As it turns out, Cicada mites are real and the little fuckers have been biting me and many others to pieces the last few weeks. So sorry Mosquitos I gave you undue props due to having lumps all around my skin. I guess there are some new kids in town and they are bastards...

Itchy bugger alert

Chicago: Scratching.

• 5 Sep 2024, 1:40 p.m.

You keep grinding at the gym my friend.

• 5 Sep 2024, 1:42 p.m.

Rise and grind, brother!