• 24 Jul 2024, 12:45 a.m.

<shakes head sadly>
    The absence of symptoms in someone like you is a strong indicator of goat AIDS.

• 24 Jul 2024, 12:51 a.m.

TBF, I’ve suspected that for decades.

• 24 Jul 2024, 7:47 a.m.

4 weeks on from this latest Covid dose and I still feel like dogshit every morning. Like a 4 star weekender hangover with aching limbs, nausea and distinctive 'covid head' headache that feels as if an icepick's been driven through my temple.

It usually sort of clears up and the edge disappears as the day goes on I've noticed, but the fatigue is crippling.

Ugh.

• 24 Jul 2024, 7:51 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. My symptoms from a dose in mid-June are not as bad as that but still include the ongoing muscles aches and tiredness.

• 24 Jul 2024, 9:40 a.m.

Maybe try Corn Flakes instead?

• 29 Jul 2024, 9:28 a.m.

I have taken up exercise again post COVID. 2 very slow 5Ks so far. Which is better than I was hoping for

• 29 Jul 2024, 8:44 p.m.
  • 30 Jul 2024, 3 p.m.

I had no idea parkrun is specifally spelled with a lower case 'p', or that anyone gets especially miffed when people do not observe that convention.

You wouldn't catch me getting all sniffy about such things, like using an incorrect abbreviation for a football team or missing wanky fadas off my name or owt.

• 4 Sep 2024, 2:53 p.m.

Saw the consultant today. My running days are over.
    Two options...
    Manage the pain with drugs.
    Have a knee replacement.

Pain has started waking me up at night. Can't kneel, can't bend down easily, and struggle to stand up from the floor, if I ever get there (because I know pain will go shooting through my knee).
    But an op will be the complete end of playing football (not that I can kick a ball now, let alone run - have to play in goal) due to a ban on impact sports. Consultant said I can still walk/hike/golf though, not that I do any of those things now.
    (Plus my dad 'died' on the operating table for three minutes when he went in for a knee replacement op a year ago and was in a coma for two months (the op was unsurprisingly abandoned)).

Tough call.
    It was a big move giving up my WFCG membership this summer, as visiting Trentside regularly has been a big part of my life for 30 years.
    But playing football has been a bigger part - I've pretty much played at least twice every week (usually more) for 40-plus years, from training and matches to regular five-a-sides. Not sure I can mentally cope with losing both so close together. (I know, TUP)

But maybe I will have to take up golf to fill the gaps. (I'm actually thinking swimming or cycling, except I don't really enjoy individual sports, and education (learning guitar/language) as potentials).

• 4 Sep 2024, 3:12 p.m.

You're in Sheffield aren't you? I'll do some cycling with you if you like. Though also have some health issues at the moment and taking it easy but can do a bit for sure.

• 4 Sep 2024, 3:14 p.m.

Totally get that. I have taken up both golf and tennis, to replace football.....and retired from both before giving up football (you might argue I never really took that up). Getting the telltale knee burn if I work too hard these days. Systematic shit sides (all the midfielders with movement habitually put on one side, and not mine) means that I've tired of running myself into the ground, chasing twenty-somethings, just to keep the score down.

Toyed with walking football. Couldn't bear the thought. Need to do something though, because losing a nights sleep because my knees hurt isn't any way to get through the week. So I'm jacking in the tuesday night game at the end of the month, and looking for a more balanced recreational game.

Not sure golf is the answer. It either takes a lifetime to play, or is just standing still whacking balls.

I cycle these days, which I like, but is no fun when its cold or wet. Am actually toying with running.

• 4 Sep 2024, 3:18 p.m.

I find the constant zig zagging between the various bunkers and areas of rough helps get me some exercise.

• 4 Sep 2024, 3:38 p.m.

I think that running as an exercise itself is excellent in many ways, and far less damaging than the kind of running required on a football pitch due to not having to plant / twist / accelerate / decelerate / take contact, but if you have knee issues it's probably better to go to the gym and lift than pound pavement. Cycling and swimming (and a variety of cardio machines) are much easier on the joints.

I love running for both its physical and mental benefits, but it isn't without its downsides. I know you don't need me to tell you that though.