• 11 Sep 2023, 10:15 a.m.

My son's laptop stopped taking in any power last night. Using the full range of my tech powers I have removed the battery and without it it powers fine (not sure if I faced potential electrocution plugging it in with the back still off, but I'm here still so all good).

Anyway, conclusion is needs a new battery, anyone (Tricky probably!) Have a good brand/place to get one from?

Laptop is an asus ux430u.

• 11 Sep 2023, 10:41 a.m.

If you look at the battery, it'll probably have a part number on it. Stick that into Google or Amazon. Buy it. Not much more to it than that is there?

• 11 Sep 2023, 10:44 a.m.

I generally just use ebay or amazon for replacement batteries. They can be a bit hit and miss, but mostly work. Most are after market generic cheap manufactured batteries. Getting a legitimate manufacturer produced battery is generally a lot more expensive, and not much less hit or miss (and what looks like one, might often not be one).

I shop on price, and suck it and see....you are normally looking around £25-30.

Don't buy used batteries.

• 11 Sep 2023, 10:49 a.m.

Thanks. I did what you both said but got lots of variants on Amazon and wasn't sure if any were better than others.

Will just plump for one that's at cheaper end.

• 15 Sep 2023, 1:38 p.m.

How do you go about disposing of old laptops? We have three or four knocking around, not sure if we have chargers any more so probably not able to power them up. Don’t think there’s anything incriminating or valuable on them. Skip?

• 15 Sep 2023, 1:55 p.m.

I always remove the hard drive and drill a few holes through it, then hand the lot into my local Staples - they do free e-waste recycling. Ideally you shouldn't just put them into landfill, there will be some way to recycle e-waste.

• 15 Sep 2023, 2:58 p.m.

Curry do recycling and give you an instore voucher. Plus there techs will be too shit to hack in if you password protect it. I got a fiver for my old sky box.

• 15 Sep 2023, 4:04 p.m.

That sounds like an option. Thanks.