• 4 Sep 2023, 12:11 p.m.

Spotify does the job for me (but then I subscribe to that anyway).

• 4 Sep 2023, 12:32 p.m.

Pocket casts too. Mainly because it syncs with my car.

• 4 Sep 2023, 12:56 p.m.

Going to try pocket casts, seems to meet my needs - was initially put off by the 3.8 rating on the play store. Don't care about desktop - I can use spotify for that.

• 4 Sep 2023, 2:55 p.m.

While hunting for more Forest content today (to listen while working) I found 'Red side of the trent' podcast. I thought the analysis on today's episode of our new South American signings was good and worth a listen.

• 4 Sep 2023, 10:04 p.m.

Podverse. If you download from F-Droid, you get three months free premium then it is $18/year (does not charge automatically) or there is a free version.

Not sure what the deal is if you download from Play store.

Website

• 4 Sep 2023, 10:05 p.m.

Serious question. Why would anyone pay for a podcast client? What are you getting? It's not podcasts.....

• 4 Sep 2023, 10:29 p.m.

A slick UI, add-on tools like a sleep function, playlists, automatic downloads etc. Notifications of new episodes etc.

Though most/all of those are available in free podcast clients.

• 5 Sep 2023, 12:41 a.m.

Indeed, so why exactly would you pay?

• 5 Sep 2023, 4:06 a.m.

Well I don't, so I've no idea.

• 5 Sep 2023, 4:16 a.m.

Sometimes the paid apps are just better than the free ones. People listen to different kinds of podcasts and in different ways.

I went through a bunch of podcast apps trying to find one that didn’t piss me off somewhere along the line. It turns out that the free version of Pocket Casts does the job.. but I’d have been happy enough to pay for it (within reason).

Podcast apps (like other apps) will be better if there are independent developers building things and trying new ideas… so we aren’t all stuck with whatever Apple, Google and the likes of Spotify think we want. Paying for apps is a cool new way to support independent developers.

Oh.. and shame on anyone who gets their Podcasts from Spotify… the cunts who gave a fascist enabler $200m to spearhead their quest to destroy the platform-neutral model that makes the podcast scene so diverse and accessible.

• 5 Sep 2023, 10:56 a.m.

Of course using what works for you, when other things don't is an ultimate decider. No problem with that.

Some problems with this.

Depends on the 'independent developers', and what you are 'supporting'. If a paid for model ensures a team that manages maintenance and updates, and drives innovation, that's all good. But is that money being spent in the right ways for your requirements?

Application development with a closed source model has hazards for the user. You don't know what they are doing in their code...which you are choosing to run on, and possibly compromise, your device. With pay to use, your usage can be curtailed against your wishes...the cost of entry can go up, you can be denied access, there can be tiers of functionality and access, almost always measures will be taken to lock in your useage/data (and ensure your continued loyalty), the whole thing can be sold to someone else who may decide to discontinue or change your access or increase the cost to you. It may be developed in a direction to serve the aspirations of the 'owner'.

Pocket casts released it's code as open source in late 2022, after its purchase by Automattic (the wordpress parent company), having being previously owned by a collective of public radio groups (including NPR and BBC studios). There is no recent history of independent developer involvement (depending on your definition of independent, I mean independent of you, definitely). The development is maintainer (owner) driven. Sync is proprietary, and requires a plus account. Plus account pricing has gone from $7.99 per year, to $14.99 per year, and is now around at $40 per year.

Antennapod is community developed and maintained, has always been open source, requires no subscription - all features are available to all, maintenance and features are developed in the open by the community. Sync is through the open gpodder protocol available to self-host or hosted, and to all apps that support that. You can, if you wish, donate to the project but the project has this note on donations

Of course you may have a view on what works best for you, which is totally fine...but there is a value in understanding what freedom and support for developers you are actually providing, if that is a driver for you.

• 5 Sep 2023, 11:16 a.m.

Well yes, paying for things can put you at the mercy of whoever you are paying. That’s how a lot of things work. When it comes to the stuff most of us put on our phones and computers, the stuff we don’t pay for can be problematic too.

I’m not going to check the source code of the apps I use. I am going to select based on quality, price, and what I know about who I am trusting. The general idea is that I want people to be making apps because they want to make a good app (and profit from it, no doubt) and not because they are some vertically-integrated megabastard trying to tie me into paying them (being rusted into the Apple ecosystem is more than enough of that for me). That is what I mean by independent. I didn’t know PocketCasts was part of Wordpress which suggests that it isn’t being built/run to pull me into Wordpress. It is a standalone app that does one thing, and does it better than the others I have tried. I’ve ditched apps/services when they got bought up and started merging with the mothership. Which is usually fucking Facebook.

• 5 Sep 2023, 12:48 p.m.

Which by your own admission is not very much at all.

Which is fine, most people passively take the easy option to be commodified. For reasons that they are told. Overlooking the things that they are not told.

Nobody is making a buck out of offering you actual freedom and self-determination. Usually the opposite.

No, but other people can, and therefore do....and the larger a community, the more scrutiny it falls under, and the more secure and maintained it becomes. Open source code doesn't necessarily mean that it is scrutinised, but it guarantees that it can be.

I have a piece of software on my phone (open source) that takes device activity notifications and pushes them to an xmpp address of my choice. If I run out of the box android, and 'ordinary' apps there is a constant stream of notifications as the various applications take advantage of processing on my phone, and of my network connection, and of the permissions extended to them, to do very many things. Most of which I have absolutely no direct knowledge of. I have a pretty clear idea what in general they are doing, but not the specifics...it's highly complex and interwoven....and is mostly not doing things for me and my usage requirements. It's an avalanche, and completely impossible to adequately monitor, interpret, and control.

Taking a de-googled android, and only using open source apps, for equivalent functionality, and the phone activity slows to an almost standstill. The only notification activity is if a text, email, phone call, or message, is incoming. In all of those cases I have expressly given permission for those, and I can see exactly what is happening, and why. I can trace cause and effect, and monitor the response made by my phone. A less bleeding edge phone, gives substantially improved performance over a stock phone. Because it is running substantially fewer unneeded (by me) processes.

There is nothing that inherently makes an open source project be programmed 'better' or more 'ethically' or more focussed on end user benefit.

But it turns out, if you choose a reasonably 'popular' project, with a good number of eyes on it, that they just tend to be. By orders of magnitude, rather than just by fractions.

Often these are function over form...commercial apps very often have much nicer user interfaces (it's where a lot of development actually goes, because it's the shop window, the marketing, the lure, the bait)...because this is what the user sees, and for many provides the significant differentiator. They may use massively more resources, and sell your being, arse first, to big business....but SHINY!

So are you sure that 'quality' is in terms of all quality considerations? (tightness/efficiency of code, maintainability and security of both the code itself but also its dependencies, resource consumption, expandability, functionality, connectivity, avoiding redundancy or obsolescence, user control, interface)

Price is irrelevant - except in making a personal value based judgement. Note that price is different to cost. Open source is not a synonym for no cost, it is a guarantee of freedom (nobody can stop you using the code as it is now, you can further develop it if you wish) - that may come at a price (effort or financial investment). Most commercial projects price based on demand and user inertia - not 'cost'. Many closed source applications provide information (that stream of unidentifiable notification activity) to assist in maximising the on demand pricing - for themselves, and for commercial partners. That's how phone ecosystems are set up to work.

As for trust...can you really make a consensual choice in that, when you don't know who they are, and you don't know what they are doing to you? I think a better word might be 'faith'. You have invested your faith in the structures to work for you....because from what you can see it looks like they do.

• 5 Sep 2023, 1:17 p.m.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s podcast app

• 5 Sep 2023, 1:29 p.m.

I'll take that as a no.

I don't care what app it is, when I invite it in to my home phone I expect it to treat it with respect, and to do what it says that it will, not meddle with my other stuff for it's own advancement.

I am not a faith based organism.

• 5 Sep 2023, 7:14 p.m.

Agreed - South American football expert was good. However, and it's awful to say it, but I find the main guy's voice incredibly grating. It's some kind of nasal East Midz/Partridge hybrid which I struggle to get past. Says more about me, though, I think.