• 1 Oct 2023, 2:21 a.m.

Because you're required to be in control when initiating contact, and to do it fairly, and if you don't then it's reckless. It's not just football, this is a common theme across many sports - for example in ice hockey if your stick catches someone in the face it's a penalty for high sticking regardless of how it happened, how accidental it was, or even if it was caused by an opponent.

The responsibility to not injure another player lies with you.

• 1 Oct 2023, 7:04 a.m.

You do realise that you've just brought a 'no kicking' rule into football?

Yesterday Jota got sent off for running back and the man on the ball tangling with him. Foul for me, yes, because he's gained an advantage from contact. But not an intentional foul, and we shouldn't be looking to penalise* players trying to participate in the game. If he had stood still and the player had run into him, he would also have been sent off.

Things a modern footballer is penalised for: Running, standing still, kicking the ball.

Sometimes perfectly legitimate goals will just be ruled out, other times those that are a complete travesty to the spirit and history of the game will be allowed.

That's just how it is. A lottery from start to finish, with the result in the gift of a man who can't make a decision and his cupboard cunt mates. When they eventually get around to it.

You just wait while they turn the laws into an incoherent mess, under cover, out of sight, while you wait in the dark. Missing your train, and amusing yourself.

* and by penalise I mean book or send off. Something can be a foul that has unfairly disadvantaged a player, without being an unnatural action, or a dangerous or intentional foul. For me the ratio of cards to free kicks is far too high. What you have is a bunch of officious twats exercising no judgement, but dishing out cards willy nilly on minor contact analysed in slow motion. And seemingly totally unable to assess the nature of that contact unless the player falls down, and play stops. Which is why players fall down, and stop play.

• 3 Oct 2023, 8:37 p.m.

Sky's offering this evening is to welcome a handful of viewers to the Potteries for the archetypal cold(er) Tuesday night in Stoke. Southampton are the visitors and it's a sobering reminder for them, and us to be honest, to enjoy the Premier League while you can.

The standard of football is depressingly poor and it's being played out in front of a barely half-full stadium. After nearly a quarter of a century at this level, it's weird how quickly you forget.

• 3 Oct 2023, 8:47 p.m.

The last time we played Stoke in the week was particulary shit as I recall.

Except it was at home. But still.

• 3 Oct 2023, 8:47 p.m.

That said, Stuart Armstrong has just broken the deadlock for Southampton with a direct free-kick that wouldn't be out of place in the Premier League.

• 4 Oct 2023, 12:11 a.m.

I'm loving glory glory manure knighted, at the moment. Watching their fans journey from being sure they finally have a decent manager, to seeing all their dreams crumble, as he spends half a billion quid to destroy their squad, is really the best of what being a football fan has to offer.

• 7 Oct 2023, 1:14 p.m.

Luton don’t look terrible which is concerning.

Hopefully they are knackered after today and are buggered for next week the giant lunks.

Chicago: on a break.

• 7 Oct 2023, 1:21 p.m.

They work hard but spurs should be 4-0 up. Richarlison is so bad.

• 7 Oct 2023, 1:21 p.m.

And now bissouma has just gone off for two yellows. The last one for diving the dozy bugger.

Be annoying if Poo-ton get a result today. Don’t want them getting confidence.

Chicago: Extra man.

• 7 Oct 2023, 1:26 p.m.

International break next weekend, we play them in 2 weeks so tiredness unlikely to be a factor (for them anyway, more likely for us if people away with countries).

• 7 Oct 2023, 1:37 p.m.

Chicago is being generous anyway, they look fucking shit.

• 7 Oct 2023, 2:17 p.m.

Well I only caught five minutes between clients. I guess I had them during their purple patch. 0-1 now. Me likey!

Chicago: Popping in and out.

• 7 Oct 2023, 3:50 p.m.

Wonder how Bournemouth are feeling about saving Gary O'Neil to improve their style of football

• Squad
    7 Oct 2023, 3:51 p.m.

The Muff have spent an awful lot of money and aren’t doing very well, so far. Seems to go under the radar tho.

I hope they go down, I still count them as a team beginning with B. I’m nit falling for this AFCB bollocks.

Them and Burnley down would be great, Brentford an impossible dream. Too many B teams.

• 7 Oct 2023, 5:01 p.m.

I am still waiting for Everton to have a points reduction. That would probably make me smile for six months.

Chicago: Waiting to beam.

• 7 Oct 2023, 5:03 p.m.

LOL Brentford