search
Sign in
  • chevron_right Threads
  • label Discuss
  • label mundane

Mundane travel thread

Russ
23 Jun 2023
chat_bubble_outline 519
first_page chevron_left
first_page chevron_left
  • link
    Jake
    Squad 2560 posts
    22 Sep 2026, 7:35 p.m. 22 Sep 2026, 7:35 p.m.
    link

    18 years ago I left the UK to live in Thailand. I spent three years dossing about on beaches, drinking beer, not a care in the world. Then I met my wife.

    Now I'm married with two kids with a shit boring job living in Wales. Apparently this is a good thing.

  • link
    Resident_Alien
    Squad 942 posts
    22 Sep 2026, 9:54 p.m. 22 Sep 2026, 9:54 p.m.
    link
    @tricky has written:

    Life is cruel.

    Undoubtedly. However, lest anyone think my post was a boomer-coded complaint about domesticity*, I was more aggrieved about the rapid passage of time.

    I’ve had a worrying amount of peers/friends shuffle off this mortal coil in the last ten or so years, so I’m thankful for what I have.

    *I thoroughly enjoy a quiet night in after, to quote my dad, “tearing the arse out of it” for far more years than is seemly.

  • link
    tricky
    Board 8834 posts
    22 Sep 2026, 10:22 p.m. 22 Sep 2026, 10:22 p.m.
    link

    Don't underestimate the value of tearing the arse out of it. Now I'm sixty I'm planning on putting on my big girl pants and going again.

    Call it old age crisis.

    No doubt influenced by the memory of things like driving past a place tonight and recounting that I knew four people associated with it. Three of them dead. If Charlie is coming for me, I'm planning on being too far out of it to notice.

  • link
    Russ
    Squad 8067 posts
    22 Sep 2026, 10:47 p.m. 22 Sep 2026, 10:47 p.m.
    link

    I'm 52 and no sign of the arse tearing slowing down any time soon.

    tricky likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    Resident_Alien
    Squad 942 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 1:23 a.m. 23 Sep 2026, 1:23 a.m.
    link

    I was never a school night drinker. Hangovers started messing me up too much, too early.
    And bartending didn’t just add mileage, it drastically lessened my desire to be out among the general public.

    Having one of my sporadic times where booze isn’t doing it for me lately, either. Hence a THC drink or two and maybe a cocktail and I’m pretty set.

    I imagine I’d feel very differently if I was single and/or childless.

  • link
    Loafer
    Squad 738 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 5:38 p.m. 23 Sep 2026, 5:38 p.m.
    link
    @Jake has written:

    Apparently this is a good thing.

    Not for your wife I'll warrant. Thailand to Port Talbot...

  • link
    chicago
    Squad 2940 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 8:06 p.m. 23 Sep 2026, 8:06 p.m.
    link

    Well this is all well and good and it was lovely to see Karl mark and his globe trotting bush pilot friend, we have our own adventures to attend to.

    As part of our 30th wedding anniversary year (which actually starts in January), we are flying to Chile to go into the upper Andes to see the stars. Apparently the best dark skies on the planet. I think the multiple observatories give it a way a tad. Anyway, even though I tried learning Spanish I always fall back to French for some weird reason so if we get lost (which I am sure we will), then I hope somebody there speaks English. I would imagine so as the place is full of scientists probably doing weird and odd things in the vicinity. For an odd reason i cannot help think of the original John Carpenter film, "The Thing". It will be remote. Possibly ace but probably fraught with danger as Wifey doesn't do altitude very well. Where's the coca leaf tea when you need it? (Unless Russ drunk it all...)

    Chicago: Heading to the stars.

    Resident_Alien, Muswell, BrettWilliams and 2 other users like this.

    favorite 5

  • link
    Mangetout
    Squad 3144 posts
    23 Sep 2026, 9:19 p.m. 23 Sep 2026, 9:19 p.m.
    link
    @chicago has written:

    the original John Carpenter film, "The Thing"

    It was a remake, but everyone knows what you mean.

  • link
    Resident_Alien
    Squad 942 posts
    24 Sep 2026, 10:22 p.m. 24 Sep 2026, 10:22 p.m.
    link
    @Mangetout has written:

    It was a remake, but everyone knows what you mean.

    (Admittedly, a personal bugbear, but) Adaptation

    Mangetout likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    Mangetout
    Squad 3144 posts
    24 Sep 2026, 10:59 p.m. 24 Sep 2026, 10:59 p.m.
    link
    @Resident_Alien has written:
    @Mangetout has written:

    It was a remake, but everyone knows what you mean.

    (Admittedly, a personal bugbear, but) Adaptation

    Totally fair. A new(er) adaptation of the original material.

first_page chevron_left
arrow_upward Go to top
  • Return to Home
  • Turnstile
  • Turdle
  • Talkdash
  • Terms of service
The Daily Cut and Thrust at trentend.uk powered by misago