• 13 Nov 2023, 9:31 a.m.

Watched The Killer last night. Very 70s feeling thriller - very low key for a Fincher movie.

• 13 Nov 2023, 11:47 a.m.

Plan to watch this, but find Netflix movies often disappoint.

• 17 Nov 2023, 12:46 p.m.

Watched Into the Wild on Netflix last night. Really enjoyed it but it could have done with being half an hour shorter. Some beautiful shots and a storyline that was both sad and credible: 27/35 foraged mushrooms.

• 25 Nov 2023, 10:48 p.m.

The Killer was typical Fincher. Largely stylistic but generally dull as fuck. I think the general point was every action has a consequence and that if you stick to the plan it will mitigate disasters. He didn't technically stick to the plan. I am not sure what the point was. Oh well. Not very exciting.

But what was exciting was the latest Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1. The story whilst slightly barmy was very well done. Great Action, good acting. Some emotional resonance. I thoroughly enjoyed it and noticed it was quite a bit more violent than other stories. i think it was called for. I also noticed that the humour was much much better in this one. If you have to choose an enjoyable action film then I would choose this one. Certainly more tense than John Wick 4 (which I still liked and Fast zzzz (which was beyond fucking shit.) Quite a few flying Prehistoric things for this one. I actually am looking forward to part II which is some going.

Chicago: Action Hero.

• 25 Nov 2023, 10:54 p.m.

I have a problem, in that all those impossible missions seem in retrospect to be quite possible.

• 26 Nov 2023, 2:05 a.m.

I think the latest is a two parter, so perhaps we’ll discover they were finally got one right.

• 26 Nov 2023, 7:04 p.m.

Finally got round to watching this and agree almost entirely with you.

I think it's probably my movie of the year. It is magnificent.

• 4 Dec 2023, 2:28 p.m.

Watched the latest Indiana Jones (because it was free) in the vain hope that it couldn’t be as bad as the Kingdom Of The Lost Skull. It was probably worse!

The CGI anti aging thing at the start was super cool but the script and acting were nondescript. The bad guys always just turned up out of nowhere for no reason and the characters were shit. The action was shit and the mystical aspects of it were pants. There was not one iota of suspense. Utter utter shit.

Lots of dead Dinosaurs…

Chicago: Staying at home.

• 4 Dec 2023, 3:41 p.m.

Dial of Destiny was the third best Indiana Jones movie for me. It was made to close the series, and it did that just fine.
    Too many chases and killing off nice people horribly were my main criticisms, but the plot was fine, the locations good and Mikkelsen a great antagonist.
    I liked it a lot more than I had expected to.

• 6 Dec 2023, 8:19 a.m.

I quite liked it too, although I found the female character a bit annoying. The 'who is the best' banter felt a bit weird when Harrison Ford is literally an old man. It's like out-smarting your granny in the nursing home and stealing her lockets.

• 8 Dec 2023, 2:46 p.m.

A few movies to report on:

Sisu: gloriously violent. The kind of movie Tarantino used to make before he disappeared up his own arse.

When Evil Lurks: a genuinely nasty horror movie with no smiles or relief from the relentless horribleness. Excellent if you are a horror fan, very much avoid if you are not.

The Killer: completely unoriginal, but Fincher's direction and cinematography is as usual stylish as fuck, the script is great, and Fassbender is outstanding.

Am currently compiling my Xmas movie list. We're having a quiet one this year and not really going anywhere, so I plan to watch a lot of movies.

• 8 Dec 2023, 4:24 p.m.

Russ' commet on direction and cinematography reminded me. The wonderful story of Henry sugar on netflix. Having worked in amateur film and stage I love its approach. A decent story and set of actors. 40 minutes well spent.

• 8 Dec 2023, 5:13 p.m.

Agreed. Really enjoyed it. Though Cumberbatch made it I think.

• 18 Dec 2023, 9:23 p.m.

Barbie was made available for free (?) streaming this week on Max and I watched it with wifey and sister-in-law and her psychotic creepy chucky like child in the vain hope that it would keep the little creature quiet and he wouldn't stab us in our sleep. Alas it is wank, and I have no problem watching anything with Margo Robbie in it but I found it way more vacuous than it was deemed to be. it was meant to be a parody of the supposed patriarchy that is American Society. It was very creative set wise and the casting was good but I was bored senseless. I guess I am humourless. Oh well. No Teradactyls (which would have at least livened it up a bit..)

Hopefully Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon are available soon at a reasonable price. I suppose I should just pop back onto the Wolf Of Wall Steet to remind me of peak power Margo (what?)

Chicago: Looking for something meatier. .

• 24 Dec 2023, 3:08 p.m.

Leave The World Behind is a stupid and hateful movie that annoys me more the more I think about it.

• 24 Dec 2023, 3:39 p.m.

The Creator was an astonishing-looking piece of formulaic crap. It's like they wanted to make another Avatar, so they cast Denzel's kid as Sam Wardrobe and a bunch of talented actors to lead the Good and the Bad (I'd watch Allison Janney and Ken Watanabe in most things). The first 20 minutes absolutely hooked me in, and the last hour made me just wsh it would end. The child actor was simply wonderful though.
    I've seen Washington in just this and Tenet, and he's been blandly rubbish in both. Is he just a nepo baby?