• 23 Aug 2023, 12:23 p.m.

There can be only one.

• Squad
    23 Aug 2023, 12:29 p.m.

Took RC JR MKII to watch The Meg 2 last night.

It’s had some terrible reviews, probably from people that took the ridiculous plot way too literally.

It does what you’d expect which is a boat load of people (literally) being eaten by gigantic sharks and Jason Statham (local hero round these parts) taking them on, with a sprinkling of cliched bad guys thrown in,

It was tremendous fun after the fairly slow start.

Score - twelfty megaladons.

• 28 Aug 2023, 5:44 p.m.

Film would work much better if they let Creed be more of the villain. But they want to play it both ways.

• 19 Sep 2023, 4:03 p.m.

I guess nobody watches films anymore which is fair enough after the shit that is served up as Fast X. I mean, it was on streaming but it truly is one of the worst films I have ever seen. None of it makes sense. The characters aren't even funny anymore and it isn't even remotely entertaining. It had a good idea for a villain but so badly badly executed. I was bored senseless. And it went on forever. Luckily we had plenty of time to drink but that didn't make the custard in front of me any tastier. What a waste of time. -99 Terradactyls.

How to Blow up a pipeline was better. It had tension and it had a message. Even if the message was a tad muddled. Low budget. Had ideas. Way better executed that fast and Laborious.

Hopefully John Wick 4 is better. I have heard decent things but will probably watch it alone at work in-between clients.

Chicago: Un-inspired.

• 19 Sep 2023, 4:51 p.m.

Fast X was fun. A return to form after their Moonraker moment in 9.

• 19 Sep 2023, 5:05 p.m.

Then clearly you are on better drugs than I am.

Chicago: Lucid.

• 25 Sep 2023, 6:39 p.m.

Sooooooo,
    the Mexican neighbours one street away decided to play their brass torture music at ear splitting volumes and we had a choice. Go complain. Go dance with the stupid loud fuckers, Get drunk and kick in the PA. Stay sober and kick in the PA or go inside and watch a very violent film and dream of what could be.

We decided on the latter and ended up enjoying John Wick 4. Wifey hadn't bothered to see any of the ones before that (I have), but it didn't seem to matter as it was highly entertaining if a tad overkill. I thought it was great until it got to Paris and then it just got mental. The Steps scene was just way overplayed but overall the film hit a perfect high note at the end and even though it's possible to continue, I think it should stop there.

After watching 2 hours and 50 minutes of mayhem, we felt a little better... And quite a bit drunker...

Good times. Lots of flying ancient things in the air.

Chicago: One giant ball of hairy aggression.

• 9 Oct 2023, 5:20 p.m.

i have quite a high tolerance for Wes Anderson but The French Dispatch isn't his best or most enjoyable. Feels like it should have been a TV series.

• 9 Oct 2023, 5:39 p.m.

It was deadly dull with a fit naked French burd in it. An utterly forgettable film. His new one is already on streaming and I am sure it will be just as esoteric. Just hope it isn't as lifeless.

Hotel Budapest was ace though so he has some good stuff in him.

Chicago: Fan of bright colours.

• 9 Oct 2023, 6:42 p.m.

Crikey. I am 100% in agreement with Chicago on this. I had literally forgotten that I'd watched the French Dispatch. It had some moments, I think, but poof it was gone.

• 10 Oct 2023, 9:43 a.m.

I realise it's the obvious opinion but I think it's also true that Grand Budapest Hotel is far and away his best and most enjoyable film.

• 10 Oct 2023, 10:12 a.m.

It is. But Moonrise Kingdom and Isle of Dogs are both exceptionally good too.

Budapest is just wonderful.

• 1 Nov 2023, 3:11 p.m.

Evil Dead Rise is fantastic. Exceedingly squelchy, and Lily Sullivan is my new favourite scream queen.

• 1 Nov 2023, 8:41 p.m.

I watched the Amazon thingy : The Verdict (not the Paul Newman film) with Jamie Fox and Tommy lee Jones. if you can get past the first 30 minutes you will find that there is a good film in there.

No Hard Feeling starring Jennifer Lawrence is a comedy that actually made me laugh. She is also naked and funny and did I say the film made me laugh? Don't think too much about it and enjoy the silly fun.

It's been a while since I a good chuckle and I don't believe I was hammered. Although there was that possibility..

SISU up next which apparently makes John Wick look a school boy play.

Chicago: Looking forward to the weekend.

• 13 Nov 2023, 9:31 a.m.

Watched The Killer last night. Very 70s feeling thriller - very low key for a Fincher movie.