• 16 Jul 2023, 8:34 p.m.

I enjoyed it plenty but less than the last few.

• 20 Jul 2023, 7:25 p.m.

Eventually got round to watching top gun maverick. Thumbs up from me.

• 26 Jul 2023, 9:16 p.m.

Saw Oppenheimer at one of the 4 screens in the country capable of showing the full IMAX glory of it. It's spectacular but not his best work. Players like a super long trailer. Robert Downey Jr will win the best supporting actor Oscar. Nolan needs a chum to say "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

• 26 Jul 2023, 9:21 p.m.

Seeing it on Saturday. Did anyone cheer when he did the “I am become death” catchphrase?

• 26 Jul 2023, 11:06 p.m.

“Catchphrase?” It’s a quote he used from the Bhagavad Gita, you fucking philistine.

And talking of fucking, no, there wasn’t any cheering because he said it whilst shagging Florence Pugh.

• 27 Jul 2023, 1:30 a.m.

I would say anything to shag Florence Pugh...

Chicago: What?

• 27 Jul 2023, 1:53 a.m.

I did see that some Hindus have been a little bit upset about that particular juxtaposition. I haven't seen the movie and don't know the context so I don't have any particular opinion on the topic, but it does sound a little insensitive given AFAIK there's no actual suggestion that the real Oppenheimer was in delicto flagrante when he actually said it, so Nolan had some creative license to play with there.

• 27 Jul 2023, 4:34 a.m.

"I'm sorry Goose"

Target locked.

Fire.

Bang.

Gets me every time.

• 27 Jul 2023, 7:47 a.m.

You don’t say.

• 27 Jul 2023, 8:05 a.m.

It was more "Why?" That occured to me. I was unaware of the person until I looked them up. Perfectly normal attractive range human being. Nothing at all remarkable (bang average).

Is it late night candlelit tete-a-têtes, bonding over your feelings and aspirations that has connected you so intricately to her soul?

I understand, on a logical level, that she is out there selling herself, and that can attract the attention of the simplistic. I do think the dangers of casually sexualizing complete strangers is the counterbalancing argument as to why people may wish to avoid classification. To avoid this sort of unwanted attention and deeply sinister behavior.

• 27 Jul 2023, 8:28 a.m.

I don’t want to give away the film (spoiler alert: they drop two atomic bombs on Japan) but the scene has Pugh’s character (Jean Tatlock) asking Oppenheimer to read from the Sanskrit text as she then climbs (back) on board having been aroused by the words. It sort of fits but is, as you say, creative license.

I suspect if the character was reading the Bible, Torah, Quran** in similar circumstances, and came out with a famous “catchphrase,” it would offend some religious sensibilities.

** other religious texts are available

• 27 Jul 2023, 9:51 a.m.

I hadn't twigged it was Florence Pugh which is an indicator of how good an actress she is. That being said, and bearing in mind I was watching on an ultra huge IMAX screen, it did occur to me that they were by far the biggest set of norks I've ever seen.

• 27 Jul 2023, 1:28 p.m.

You do realise I was joking right?

What is wrong with you…

Chicago: Perfectly stable.

• 27 Jul 2023, 2:04 p.m.

Pugh is a fine young filly, but I doubt that that is an expression that has been used to describe her very often.

• 27 Jul 2023, 2:37 p.m.

Yes, but, IMAX.

• 27 Jul 2023, 2:48 p.m.

So. Vital to the story, apparently. We can all rest easy on this.

It's about the most (literally) explosive events to have impacted on the human race. But as a film it's so fascinating that guru has taken up gatekeeping quotes, and chic can only think about banging a fairly average human.

There are a string of fascinating stories surrounding the people, and the process, working towards development of the atomic bomb. I'm relatively certain that this wont be any of them. It's a "don't have to see it, to know that it will be shit" from me.