• 5 Jul 2023, 10:45 a.m.

I'm definitely too old to keep track. They are rebooting the DC movies, again, under James Gunn (who did the second, better, (The?) Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy) which I thought meant all the existing Supermans, Batmans, Wonder Womans and Flashes are all gone. But they are still doing a sequel to the Joachim Phoenix Joker and maybe Pattinson gets another go at Batmanning?

Marvel worked for a long time but I think the idea of everything being connected should be over - just make films of them doing their own things. Superman doesn't really need any friends to help him out, he's ridiculously overpowered as it is, so by the time you've found a way to weaken him, you then have to also find a reason why his mates can't just fire the krytonite into space.

• 5 Jul 2023, 11:10 a.m.

I'd forgotten about (The) Joker as well. And the Gotham TV show.

It's all a bit silly.

• 5 Jul 2023, 12:35 p.m.

Definitely some nostalgia about it. But I would argue that someone doing extreme horse riding is more believeable than some dude who can run so fast he jumps between universes

• 5 Jul 2023, 1:27 p.m.

Dredd is 2000ad and nothing to do with D.C. It is also vastly superior. If Tricky sneaked up to the attic then he would understand that. The first Dredd film was shit. They tried to mash three stories together when one would have been sufficient. Also Stallone ruined the character.

The Karl Urban one was ace. There has been talk of Dredd the series and possibly another sequel. The hold up could have been Urban doing the boys. 2000AD was and is still fcuking brilliant. So many stories to mine. If only someone competent and influential could be part of it. I always though James Cameron would make a terrific Cursed Earth Dredd film but alas he went all blue…

The problem is, the superhero films seem to be being regurgitated after Endgame. The only good ones I can think of are the second Doctor Strange and into the spiderverse (which possibly could have been before the Avengers finished). I haven’t seen Guardians 3 or the spider verse (the first one was terrific) but generally they are going full dirge like D.C.

Time to refresh and get something else out there. As a consequence I am looking forward to Oppenheimer. Indiana Jones was ace until the Crystal Skull which was one of the worst films I have ever seen. So chances are the new one I will catch up on the streamer which might be a mistake but time is compressed with the house stuff so I am willing to wait.

Chicago: Comic Book Hero

• 5 Jul 2023, 3:28 p.m.

Yes. I know.

Chicago: Getting there in the end after a little bit of patronising.

• 5 Jul 2023, 6:20 p.m.

For Chicago: Guardians 3 is excellent (with Gunn's typical strengths and weaknesses), but Across The Spiderverse, even with a slightly sluggish middle section and a deliberately unresolved ending, is astonishing. Ambitious story, ambiguous/human(ish) motivations, diverse styles of animation. Delighted to see that a film like this could be a mega-hit rather than another FX-fest. It even slipped in a bit of social satire.

• Squad
    5 Jul 2023, 6:42 p.m.

Apparently (according to comic lad at work) the DC Gunn reboot is separate to the Joaquin/Joker setting which is a separate Gotham to the Battinson Gotham. But it is connected to the Peacemaker/Suicide Squad setting (maybe)

Hope that clears that up…

• 5 Jul 2023, 10:51 p.m.

I have not seen it myself, but from what I've heard it was definitely small point for her to get so triggered about!

• 10 Jul 2023, 10:55 a.m.

Watched John Wick 4. Felt like nearly 3 hours would be too long for multiple extended passages of mass murder but it actually flew by. Lovejoy's teeth were a bit distracting, mind. The bar for what it takes to kill someone (even someone wearing a Kevlar suit) seems insanely high though.

• 14 Jul 2023, 2:29 p.m.

Fast X is ridiculously good fun. Obviously there are all sorts of things that don't make any sense, but they've walked the line of stupid perfectly this time (i.e. not shooting cars into space or having ten minute car chases down never ending runways), there are some proper laugh out loud moments (intended), and Jason Momoa is the best Bond villain of the last two decades at least.

• 15 Jul 2023, 3:10 p.m.

I have never seen any of the Fast and Furious films. People tell me I should.

• 15 Jul 2023, 3:12 p.m.

I saw the first one. There was street drag racing and nicking dvd players. Apparently in the last one, they went into space…

• 15 Jul 2023, 3:36 p.m.

I don't know about "should", they're just popcorn movies. They're a lot of fun though.

• 16 Jul 2023, 7:01 a.m.

Saw the new Indiana Jones film. If they cut 50% of Phoebe Waller-Bridge's scenes it would have been better.

Quite liked the CGI Indy bits.

• 16 Jul 2023, 7:47 p.m.

Went to see the latest Mission Impossible. Son really liked. It was fairly good if you like chasey chasey fighty fighty.

• 16 Jul 2023, 8:34 p.m.

I enjoyed it plenty but less than the last few.