• 25 Jan 2024, 12:55 a.m.

Gosh.. missed all of that when it was going on. Probably for the best.

But, FWIW, here is why you’re wrong, and why you are contradicting your own arguments.

Take the N-word. Society deems that you and I shouldn’t go around using it. I don’t think you have any interest in using it but, nonetheless, your position is that you are ‘one word down’, where what you want is "Tolerance and inclusivity, to shape the society that we actually want."

You’re wrong because when the usage and attitudes towards a word change, it advances us towards tolerance and inclusivity. Shapes us, you might say. Anyone who says the N-word and gets told they shouldn’t, gets to learn why. Every 19-year-old contrarian dude on the internet saying ‘how come black people can call each other n-word, and I can’t’ gets to learn why. They get to learn that it was a term that white people used to demean and dehumanise black people, that it’s usage by white people is wrapped up with slavery, lynchings, apartheid and the rest.. that, pretty-fucking-recently, it was entirely ordinary for little kids to be raised to use that word and see black people as lesser humans.

But we have moved beyond that. Not as far beyond as we should have.. but it’s no longer ok for white folk to use that word because of what it means, and has always meant, when they do so. That’s valuable. Just like it’s valuable that people learn why black people have taken that word for themselves, and WHY oppressed people have every right to do things like that. Moving towards tolerance and inclusivity is not the same for everyone… those who have been discriminated against necessarily need ot move differently to those who have discriminated, and at times we are part of groups whether we like it or not. I never enslaved anyone or called anyone the n-word, but I am shut out of the world where it’s ok to use that word. This is good. I am tolerant of black people saying ‘you don’t get to use that word, we do’. This is also functionally useful because it all makes it real easy to spot the people who have, shall we say, a little further to travel along that ‘tolerance and inclusivity’ road.

Language is always changing, and with change comes a story, and in this case it’s a story of society moving in precisely the direction that you claim to want it to move.

You can say the n-word all you want. It is still there.. and if you say it, it means what it has done all along when a white guy says it. You might be saying it to make a stand for free speech, but you’ll know that isn’t how it’s received and so what it reveals about you is the same regardless of your motivation. Society will draw conclusions (some parts of it will draw different conclusions to others). Will some people be angry because of the word, rather than the meaning, yes. And that is silly, but I’m pretty confident that most people who would judge you have some understanding of the story here, and a belief that tolerance and inclusivity has been, and continues to be, advanced by people not using the n-word.

Of course the story isn’t always the one we'd like. Spastics/Scopers is an, alas, amusing example of that. Can’t win em’ all. I knew a few people who liked ‘Flid’ (from Thalidomide’) as their version of Spaz/Retard.. and were horrified when I told them where that came from. They learned a thing and stopped saying ‘Flid’. Remember when the mainstream press couldn’t stop running stories about ‘Chavs’, well there was a lot less of that after people pointed out the racist origin of the word and how maybe nice middle-class types using it to mock an underprivileged and underrepresented portion of society was really shit… so, again, there was a story and some people had cause to examine their prejudices and attitudes.

Your argument is that you want society to change, but not language.. yet you appear to have given no thought at all to the possibility that language change is one of the most powerful tools we have to demonstrate and shape societal change. You have this typically nebulous idea about what you want, and then blithely dismiss one of the few proven tools people use to try and advance us in that general direction.

• 25 Jan 2024, 1:32 a.m.

How is that advancement going?

My argument is that demonizing words isn't ever the answer. Like burning books that you don't like the idea of doesn't change the ideas.

Put that energy into actually changing how people think about things, instead of antagonizing them with your smug middle class values, and actually give them the reason and opportunity to do better.

Those words will still be there, they will be used in the cultural vernacular. .... in films, music, books, and discourse. There's no such thing as a bad word. Only bad intent. Change the words, and a new expression of the intent will emerge. You have achieved nothing until you actually address the root of the behaviors. You may think that by expressing disapproval of words, you are actually waving a magic wand at behaviors and that intent.

But experience teaches us that you are not. Would be my argument.

The policing of words, allows those who have more power to retreat into the comfort of thinking that all is well. And it very well may be in those comfortable circles where convention is respected. Less so in those circles where nothing is respected, because its a luxury that just isn't on the menu.

It strikes me as another driver to division. Look at me, I don't use bad words. Look at them, and how terrible they are with outmoded values, and their rickets and scurvy ( on the increase in modern Britain #Victorianvalues). Like bashing on pots and pans on your doorstep, rather than ensuring the health services are equipped, staffed, paid a living wage, and respected so that they can go about their daily work without abuse ( habitually verbal, all too often physical ) - all issues that a round of applause have completely failed to make a dent in.

Fiddling while Rome burns.

• 25 Jan 2024, 1:39 a.m.

If what you took from all of that was ‘it’s the words that matter, not the ideas they represent’ then read it again. If, after reading it again, your takeaway is the same, give up reading.

• 25 Jan 2024, 2:08 a.m.

I'm addressing your contention that:

It isn't. It hasn't. We are celebrating one of the longest Democratic regimes for entrenched institutionalized oppression and inequality. Language has changed a lot. The middle classes are larger and smugger.

Meanwhile more and more peoples experience is more like that of Victorian Britain, than of a modern meritocratic equal society. It's not a good advert for language as the master of positive change.

• 25 Jan 2024, 2:13 a.m.

And to answer this very silly question... I think it's going better than it would be if a politician could still stand up and bemoan 'uppity n*****s' wanting equal rights, and 90% of white people would agree, with the other 10% not inclined to say anything because they didn't want to wake up to find 'n***** lover' scrawled on their front door. That some people still hold those view and have to use different language to express them is, doubtless, a problem, but you really shouldn't ignore a century of progress just because you're dissatisfied with the state of things today.

I think that there has been some genuine regression in recent years. It ain't nothing that actual nazi's now feel emboldened enough to march through our streets. It's a shocking indictment on media, politics and the rest. But progress is always a process and regression is impossible to avoid.

Do you know why most people don't use the n-word? Well it's because they don't want to, not because they can't. I call that 'advancement' and believe the change in language represents it, and assisted it.

Although you'd obviously never actually tell us what they are, you doubtless have practical ideas to do all this better and can show us how they'd achieve what you want. Cool.. if it sounds useful I'll sign up.. but I'll also continue to believe that considering how we communicate and how that fits with the values we want society to reflect is useful, has always been useful, and only an idiot would leave that tool in the box.

And hell... if you don't think your enemies are out there trying to shape language to make the world worse.. because they, when they are not demanding the right to say n-word with impunity, are very aware of how fundamental language is to the transmission of ideas.. then you're a real old silly billy. Seems kinda dumb to retreat from that battle and let them have the run of it, no?

• 25 Jan 2024, 2:42 a.m.

Yeah well, y’see, when you said:

… it kinda seemed like you were ignoring practically everything I wrote, and trying to bait me with (yet) another straw man.. rather than ‘addressing’ any particular part of it.

But pay no mind to it. I see where it’s all going. You do you.

• 25 Jan 2024, 10:44 a.m.

Language is a tool for communicating actual belief and intents. It seems bizarre that I should have to make that point, but I do. The world is stock full of examples, sadly as much now as ever, of compliant language masking Machiavellian intent. The UK historically is a particular shining light of avoiding reality, by avoiding real discussion. As an instrument of control, and national exceptionalism. I'm not minded to think that progress is as profound as you might think, when most parents of black children still find the need to habitually sit them down and give them 'the talk'. Consider the different responses you might get to two examples, linguistically, of dealing with a situation of someone dishevelled, and in apparent distress.

Smarten yourself up, and take a moment to sort yourself out.

Fucking hell mate, you look like you've shit yourself. Are you alright?

If we mandate one as bad words, and as a thing that you can't say, then we will remove the possibility of an honest conversation, and an opportunity for real growth, in some cases. If we tell people that they can't say or do something, then a percentage of people will think 'fuck you' and lie to you.

In both cases they could put a barrier between the speaker and the recipient...but alternatively both might be valuable tools that unlock a positive move. There are no bad words here - just different situations, where communicating an intent in a different style might move things forward. I could give you countless examples of window dressing adherence to language conventions, that are purely a mask for inappropriate behaviours. From the hypocrisy of a men's golf club member mentality and attitude to women and minorities, through to the proliferation of modern slavery statements that are pointless and functionally meaningless (thanks George for my cheap clothes, I hope my purchase bought bangledeshi sweat shop workers a turnip). There's a massive amount of effort that goes into persuading special interest groups that they are doing the right thing, it's all those other bastards that are the problem, and keep voting how you do and we will make you feel safe and warm in your maintenance of the status quo. If you really want to fix a suppurating wound, it's best to actually have it looked look at. Just saying how brilliant modern medicine is, and how we've made so much progress wont save the limb. If there is a dirty problem to fix, you need to be prepared to get a little messy if you want to help.

If there is a freedom of expression, you can observe the actual state of the world, rather than just your conforming sub-group within it. You can, if you are minded, argue for the case for truth and light as you see it, and effect real change. If nobody is really talking to each other, than you probably don't really know, and if you do it's going to be a lot harder to strike up a truthful dialogue.

For me tolerance is the key here. Accepting that not everyone (actually nobody) shares your entire value set, but arguing for a collective set of values that actually work on a societal level. Rather than retreating into a comfortable sub-division of society, and persuading yourself that from what you can see, everything is going swimmingly. It isn't. It hasn't been doing for hundreds of years. There is a move afoot to make things worse. If you think that it is getting better, I think that you need 'the talk'.

You can see this absent link between words and action in so many places. There's a lot of knife crime. We have passed loads of legislation to 'come down hard' on perpetrators. We have some of the toughest legislation in the world on knife crime. Many of us are comforted and persuaded that the government is 'taking seriously' and 'delivering' on knife crime. It stops us looking and demanding change. Knife crime is getting worse. We need to have actual discussion, which may be distressing and uncomfortable, if we want real change. The management of the words around something doesn't generally fix things...it's often used as a tool to persuade people that they have done all the can, and to look no further into it (the bashing pots and pans on the doorstep for the NHS, that I often mention, is a most recent and visceral example here in the UK).

Of course the autism is a big factor in how I 'see' this, and how I interact with others. Which can be good and bad. I do not imagine for a moment that I am correct about all things in all cases, it's why I need a discussion with you to find out how other people perceive it...and it's why you need to do the same, rather than just retire the shirt on it.....which frankly achieves absolutely nothing tangible.

We haven't got this boxed off. We have generations of failure behind us...but we now have more opportunity for wider dialogue and discussion than ever before in human history (which is why the forces whose anti-social need for division is putting so much effort into controlling those avenues of communication). We should all consider our responsibility for that, rather than retreating into a comfortable warm and fuzzy place.

Words only have the power to hurt, when there remains a real legacy of the harm that created their demonisation. We can only truly address those harms, by widely, collectively, and realistically discussing where we are with them, and where we want to be. Sometimes I want to hurt and offend people (have you seen what those fucking tories and their wealthy facism enforcing puppeteers are actually doing? Total bastards.) Sometimes I want to learn. Sometimes I want to actually do something. It's going to take almost all of us to achieve meaningful movement in this. Retreating into a comfortable secure compound of the mind, isn't really going to hack it for the real life experience of many people.

I really, genuinely believe (and always have) that real and honest conversation, is the only way forward with this. That's going to be painful very often, because the reality is. It just doesn't cut it, with me, to say on the one hand 'that however much I disagree with you, I will defend to the death your right to say it' along with 'apart from that word, and that one, and the other one'.

I totally agree that we do not be wanting to use words to oppress, disenfranchise, and remove the human rights of other people. But we de facto are, more and ever more. Don't confuse the lack of use of the n-word while we do that with progress. We just use other mealy mouthed words, and people look the other way because it's easier. I find it more offensive that Dishy Rishi repeatedly and regularly says that the government is 'delivering for the british people' than me being called a cunt (though many women will just object to the use of the word, and around we go). Because one is a functional lie entirely predicated on misleading people, and the other is just an uncomfortable truth.

• Squad
    25 Jan 2024, 11:03 a.m.

This film sounds shit, lads.

1/2 a triceratops.

• 25 Jan 2024, 11:14 a.m.

I don't know, add in some tits and fanny, maybe some Forest as well and I bet it would get a decent triceratops score, maybe the full 3 horns.

• 25 Jan 2024, 12:29 p.m.

There's a lot of long posts here.

My take, in the round I think it's better genetrally if people don't use the N word than do.

• 25 Jan 2024, 12:30 p.m.

Anyway back on message.

Going to see the Holdovers on Saturday and the new Colour Purple on Sunday.

• 25 Jan 2024, 3:15 p.m.

Lots of words there. Not a fan of segregation of words. Id rather everybody or nobody use them. Can't help but think segregation burns bridges rather than building them. Which is what we seem to do a lot of these days. Maybe I'm just a gammony old cunt though. And yes I've heard the rationale.

• 25 Jan 2024, 6:26 p.m.

Good idea, time to ban foreign languages and enforce Esperanto as the global tongue.

• Squad
    25 Jan 2024, 6:35 p.m.

Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston lausajne estas rano en mia bideo.

• 25 Jan 2024, 7:36 p.m.

Something about eels.