• 16 Jan 2024, 10:45 a.m.

I thought that about Brentford too.

• 16 Jan 2024, 10:50 a.m.

Whether you’re team tricky (boo) or team me (yay) this isn’t the case. We hadn’t broken the rules until the accounting period ended. Up until that point we, reasonably, it appears, believed we would be able to comply… but we left it until the last moment to do so and commercial factors prevented us.

Absent some prior indication that the league could, and would, be flexibile on the matter.. it is, without doubt, a case of ‘tough shit lads’. This board seems to be universally agreed on that.. which is as it should be given our proud history of zero sympathy for other clubs/fans whinging about getting penalised for their shenanigans.

We put ourselves at risk by spending at a level that we knew would put us in breach, whilst only having one saleable asst to offset things and bring us back under. It was certainly reckless. I don’t have an issue with us arguing a case though. There are issues with the rules and it is by arguing these things that they get attention and evolve.

• 16 Jan 2024, 11:02 a.m.

Yes to this. It seems problematic. I'm struggling with how we argue we were only in breach for 2 months (as I've seen it suggested we will do). The reporting periods don't work like that. You're either in breach for the period (12) or you aren't (0).

Let's say we argue that we should be allowed to count the Johnson money into the previous accounting period. Let's even say that the PL agree. It sets a terrible precedent that isn't workable more widely. Teams will start saying "We've a £50m player on our books, we're going to sell him in 8 months time, so we can count that sale in this accounting period". It won't work.

It feels to me that our best bet is to argue that the very nature of the P&S rules are shit. If we were to have adhered to them, we'd have been less in profit and been less sustainable. So please Sir, treat us nicely.

• 16 Jan 2024, 11:26 a.m.

In the absence of a sane plan we didn't really have an alternative did we, other than relegation obvs. The 3 that came up haven't spent fuckloads and are the bottom 3.

I am still getting cross and indignant because the whole thing is a crock of shit.

• 16 Jan 2024, 11:30 a.m.

What is an ETB and does it have anything to do with Pokemon and / or wrong uns masquerading under transparent pseudonyms while posting on Internet forums?

• 16 Jan 2024, 11:49 a.m.

One thing I find quite odd is that I've not seen anyone authoritative, yet, suggest about how much over the threshold we are likely to be.

Is that not likely to come out until we actually get to hearings?

I realise that the "6 points + 1 for every £5m" is only a suggestion but the Everton 10 point deduction is close to that, based on a £19.5m breach.

• 16 Jan 2024, 11:50 a.m.

Pretty much. The sustainable option was try to buy a decent Championship squad (which we did not have) get walloped a lot, and try to build slowly. That doesn’t usually work. Getting promoted by mistake is silly.. just ask The Worst Team In History (tm).

Nobody has started life in the PL like we did and grown. If The Greek was always happy to pay his bills, whether the gamble worked or not*, it was, whilst reckless, a legitimate approach. And if we get the points we’re supposed to get on the field this year, it will work.. with no actual harm done.

* I don’t have a lot of confidence that this was/is the case

• 16 Jan 2024, 12:23 p.m.

Burnley have actually spent £110m.

• 16 Jan 2024, 12:42 p.m.

Personally I don't think that we should overlook the part played by the Head Coach. It's not just about spending money, as the volume of overpriced crap that's been through our books should attest to. Of course not spending guarantees failure. As intended.

• 16 Jan 2024, 1:16 p.m.

Presumably Burnley have a bigger allowance than us having been relegated than promoted. Similar to Fulham.

• 16 Jan 2024, 1:29 p.m.

And they were pretty well managed financially before they went down. In their relegation season they made a profit of £31.2M (after paying tax of nearly £10M!), before you start adding back things that don't count towards PSR.

• 16 Jan 2024, 1:36 p.m.

I was more pointing out they had spent a large sum of money and are still shit. Showing how intentionally difficult it is.

• 16 Jan 2024, 1:43 p.m.

That's not quite what we've done though - if what we believe Forest's case to be is correct, we've said to the League while in the accounting period "look, we're going to sell this player in this transfer window and we've got 30M on the table for him right now which will make us compliant with FFP regs, but we believe we'll get an awful lot more if we can hold out until later in the window - please consider that we have managed our business accordingly to ensure compliance within the defined accounting period, but we'd like to maximise our profit as well". That's very different to a promise of a future sale for a projected amount to a club unknown.

• 16 Jan 2024, 2:31 p.m.

Dan Taylor's article in The Athletic seems to suggest that Nicholas Randall is the fall guy for the alleged PSR breach.

Interestingly, I looked at Randall's bio on his chambers page and apparently he acted for David Platt against Forest. Link here - under the heading 'sports law'.

• 16 Jan 2024, 2:56 p.m.

Danny Taylor seems to have a number of axes to grind against certain people.

• 16 Jan 2024, 3:30 p.m.

The issue was discussed at the CMS committee today. Richard Masters coming under pressure for calling Everton and us “small clubs.” Has he not seen the fucking big club formula??