I've long been concerned that that collaboration was getting a bit static.
I've long been concerned that that collaboration was getting a bit static.
20 years ago today...Forest team: Smith Curtis Bennett Breckin Morgan Southall Holt Perch Commons Grant Holt Lester subs Pederson Thompson Harris James Hughes
I watched that in a Clapham pub with Webmong 7 and some of the other Flaming Galah Gay Disc team. We had a game that day although I was injured and just went along to watch. They left the pub at 0-3. I said I'd stay to the end as I didn't want to miss Scunthorpe's 4th goal. And I didn't.
IIRC we were concerned about scoring goals with Junior Agogo away on international duty. That turned out to be the least of our problems.
Still, I might read the Scunthorpe match report again after Sunday's 0-0 at Palace to remind me how truly shit things once were.
We've had worse. Much worse.
This was my son's first game and to be fair he stuck with it and had a season ticket right up to going to university. Unfortunately for him that was exactly the time we suddenly got good. We have many happy memories from the times when we were rubbish though.
I think them being rubbish is better for you, and your connection to the team.
You are in it for good reasons. You objectively look at performance and enjoy improvements. If you are just winning 8-0 every weak, you expect it and get arsey if you only won 8-1 one week. Plus every other fucker 'supports' your team so you have no differentiator from the worst sort of nobs.
I can understand people, when ticketing and the costs get difficult, going to notts instead. You can rely on them to be completely crap forever.
Definitely. I am very much in it for the shared experience and whilst the football is objectively far better now, I have very fond memories of losing away at Reading, Fulham, QPR and Rochdale where tickets were never an issue and the same familiar faces surrounded you every game. Since the tickets became more expensive and harder to get I have tried filling the gap with other football and there are other clubs I have a soft spot for, but it isn't the same, so it's increasingly becoming something I watch on telly and reminisce about.
Gary Three Lungs is unforgivable, of course, but hindsight really suggests we messed up with Grant. He got 14 in 45 when he was often on the bench (player of the season), and then was shoved out to the wing where he really was shit, while Calderwood denied him a transfer. More effective than entertaining for sure.
FTFY.