• 27 Jul 2024, 6:56 p.m.

The full footage of the Manchester Airport incident has been leaked. And shows a very brutal, sustained assault on the police officers officers before the boot to the head.

My only issue ia the kick wasn’t hard enough.

• 27 Jul 2024, 7:23 p.m.

Not seen it but that was what Andy Burnham implied after he'd seen it.

• 27 Jul 2024, 7:28 p.m.

Really? Even once the guy is down and restrained, posing no threat, you think it's ok for them to kick him in the head? What about a few hours later? A few months? Has the perpetrator got mental health issues? In the heat of a fight I'm fine with a copper giving it out as much as he's getting it, but by the time the kick was delivered it wasn't a fight anymore.

• 27 Jul 2024, 7:36 p.m.

Absofuckinglutely I think it’s fine in those circs. He’s took a number of sustained hard blows to the head as have his colleagues. I doubt he would have even known exactly what was going on at that point too.

Why we give time to those utter cunts on the end of it is beyond me.

• 27 Jul 2024, 7:37 p.m.

Guessing so. but Andy Burnham is a pretty sensible chap so was probably bright enough to realise something pretty significant had led to the incident.

• 27 Jul 2024, 8:20 p.m.

Of course Mince is right here but hopefully the copper will be cut a bit of slack by people who dont willing put themselves in harms way for him being only human.

He won't, but it would be nice if he was.

• 27 Jul 2024, 8:50 p.m.

Yes it's okay to be human, and to defend yourself. It's not okay carry that on after an assailant is not posing a threat.

That's not opinion, that's law. Or at least was. Who knows what the laws are after the previous string of governments, or when they apply, or how they are enforced.

No matter.

As a society we need to demand standards of those who are there to defend them. If they can't keep them, we certainly shouldn't be arming them. Nor excusing them. I know coppers, past and present, including firearms officers, who are appalled by the lack of professionalism on show here.

We are not actually that far away from the 'he was black and looked at me funny' death in custody days. I wouldn't want to go back to that for society as a whole, nor for the confidence and respect for the police.....Particularly while they are so undermanned and underfunded. A big time bomb with the police force is the experienced officers are being driven out, and cheaper, poorly recruited and trained bodies brought in to make up the (short) numbers.

We rely on public confidence and policing with consent. They haven't got the numbers or quality to sustain a nonconsenting policing relationship with an antagonised public.

Pick your battles. The smart general only fights what they can win.

• 28 Jul 2024, 8:02 a.m.

It's possible for both sides to be shit heads. The one trained and employed to keep the peace absolutely needs to be held to a standard especially if they are armed.

• 28 Jul 2024, 8:28 a.m.

Totally agree.
    It was obvious there was more to this and the footage had been cut to make the officer look as bad as possible.
    BUT he's a police officer. They are officers of the law and, rightly, held and expected to meet higher standards, no matter the provocation.

• 28 Jul 2024, 8:43 a.m.

Footage was obtained by Richard Tice I've read,

Your views here put you in the camp of Tice and Lee Anderson, which is a fair indication of the merits of your view.

• 28 Jul 2024, 10:46 a.m.

Pish. Doesn't matter who obtained the footage. If you can't adjust your opinion because the evidence was obtained by someone who's views you don't like, you are a part of the problem.

Not that I agree with "the kick wasn't hard enough".

• 28 Jul 2024, 12:10 p.m.

I don’t really care. My views on individual matters don’t have to be along political lines, it’s a shame it has to come to it that Reform are the ones with a bit of balance on this.

The kick to the head was part of the same incident and very soon after he was punched hard a number of times to the head. He could not even have been sure he still had his weapon given the ferocity of the attack.

Of course the shit heads on involved have wheeled out a shit head solicitor to muddy the waters. I hope they get what they deserve and the officer is back at work soon.

But I won’t hold my breath, and it all forms the populist agenda.

• 28 Jul 2024, 1:21 p.m.

Haven't changed my opinion at all. It was widely reported that officers had been injured before the kick.

Unlike you I didn't need to see a video of that before I would believe it.

And unlike you seem to suggest for yourself, my view doesn't change having seen it.

Anderson' statement that the copper should be given a medal is pretty much the same as should've kicked harder and a very dangerous road to go down.

• 28 Jul 2024, 2:52 p.m.

I can’t imagine any scenario when it is acceptable for a serving police officer to kick a civilian in the head.

• 28 Jul 2024, 3:09 p.m.

There are plenty of scenarios where it would be entirely appropriate.

Even if you disagree with the actions in this event, I’d be very grateful if a police officer kicked someone in the head to stop them harming someone close to me.

• 28 Jul 2024, 3:32 p.m.

You do understand that every serving police officer has hundreds of thousands of pounds of training poured into them specifically to teach them restraint techniques, both physical and mental, right? I struggle to get my head round why anyone would think there's a scenario in which a police officer would be justified in behaving like a maligned football hooligan after 6 pints of Stella.