• 27 Sep 2023, 10:36 a.m.

I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned before (apologies if it's already common knowledge), but I was intrigued to discover recently that Forest were close to signing Dixie Dean from Tranmere Rovers in December 1924.

Talks were sufficiently advanced for Tranmere to omit Dean from their side for a drawn FA Cup (5th qualifying round) match against Coventry, in order not to jeopardise a deal by leaving him cup-tied. Negotiations stalled, however, and Tranmere picked Dean for the replay; Forest decided that, due to Dean being cup-tied, they would not attempt to conclude a deal. They moved on, instead, to the wonderfully named Randolph Septimus Galloway, whom they broke their transfer record to sign from Derby.

Forest were relegated to Division 2 at the end of that season as Galloway struggled (he would score eight goals in 39 appearances across three injury-affected seasons). They proceeded to spend 32 consecutive seasons outside of the top flight (including the break for World War II) - they would not return until 1957.

Dean was signed by Everton four months after the collapse of the Forest move (Forest went back in for him at that time, but with several other clubs now circling, the opportunity was gone). Dean went on to score 33 goals for Everton in his first full season and the absurd total of 383 in 433 games overall during his time there.

We might just have made the wrong call on that one! Who knows how different the trajectory of the club may have been if Dean's goals had enabled them to escape relegation that season and to establish themselves as a major top flight side during the next decade.

• 27 Sep 2023, 7:34 p.m.
  • 27 Sep 2023, 7:35 p.m.

The shirts part is pretty well known I think. Sorry!

• Squad
    27 Sep 2023, 8:55 p.m.

Is it a red one?

• 27 Sep 2023, 9:46 p.m.

The Dixie Dean thing got me wondering whether there have been other instances of a similar magnitude of Forest coming close to - but missing out on - signing a player who would become a great of the game. Whilst there have obviously been cases of good players slipping by, I'm struggling to think of anything really comparable. We were reportedly interested in Michel Platini in 1979 (and Platini was quoted saying how flattering it was to be linked to the European champions) but I don't know whether that interest ever progressed to become something substantial. Still, it's fun to consider how different the awkward post-Gemmill / pre-Hodge period would have been had Platini been signed at that time.

• 27 Sep 2023, 9:47 p.m.

It's Baggio!

• 27 Sep 2023, 10:20 p.m.

I think I remember Bergkamp being mentioned when SVC was leaving.

• 27 Sep 2023, 10:52 p.m.

I heard that Arsenal used to wear their away kit, and let Forest wear red, in home games as a mark of thanks.. but I don’t know if it’s true or when it stopped. They should do that though.. a bit of respect for their elders and betters wouldn’t go amiss.

• 27 Sep 2023, 10:54 p.m.

Never realistic. We’d already signed Jason Lee at that point, and there was no way Dennis was going to come and warm, the bench.

• 27 Sep 2023, 11:03 p.m.

Nobody in their right mind would take some foreign fancy dan, over a good old British centre forward literally able to head goalkeepers into the net.

I think that when he scored Ian Walker it was one of the happiest moments of my football life.

• 27 Sep 2023, 11:53 p.m.

Bale was supposedly really close to signing wasn't he, but an injury crisis knackered it up.

Just think what WMD could have done with him

• 28 Sep 2023, 7:45 a.m.

Nae comment.