Skip to main content
Topic: Away at Sheffield United - playoff semi leg one (Read 3875 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Away at Sheffield United - playoff semi leg one

Reply #255

I do enjoy the fact that Cooper didn't try and counter that by having someone stand on Gibbs-White and try to take him out of the game because I think it's rare that such a tactic works, and I'm much more a fan of having faith in our ability to impose our game on them than trying to stop them from playing theirs.
Des Lyttle on Ryan Giggs being a pretty glorious exception

Reply #256

I did say rare. I remember Nicky Butt doing a number on someone for England some years ago, I forget who. But it takes a very smart coach and a very smart player for it to work.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #257
I did say rare. I remember Nicky Butt doing a number on someone for England some years ago, I forget who. But it takes a very smart coach and a very smart player for it to work.
I'm definitely agreeing

Reply #258
Always interesting how the other side see the game. Read the Sheff U report on the game on the Athletic and it’s all about how badly they defended and the mistakes they made. Then in the middle, there’s this:

Back in March when these teams had fought out an entertaining 1-1 draw, Philip Zinckernagel had been a key figure in what was arguably the best attacking display by a visiting team all season (Forest’s xG that night had been 2.1 to United’s 0.83).

Maybe, lads, it’s not that you played that badly? Sometimes you have to admit you got well beaten by a better team.

Reply #259
It was 2.7 to 1.1 yesterday.

Reply #260

I seem to remember Lyttle doing it to Zola as well once.
Mull Of Kintyre 1 Annie's Song 0

Reply #262
Always interesting how the other side see the game. Read the Sheff U report on the game on the Athletic and it’s all about how badly they defended and the mistakes they made. Then in the middle, there’s this:

Maybe, lads, it’s not that you played that badly? Sometimes you have to admit you got well beaten by a better team.

To be fair though, the role of the opposition in these situations is to figure out what they could have done differently and how they might adapt in future meetings, rather than to just accept defeat.

Reply #263
Zola is the one that stood out. A right back marking a left winger (Giggs) is hardly a tactical master stroke, that’s just positions.
He followed him everywhere. Didn't operate as a right back at all. And man-marking is very different from LW v RB, as you very well know.

Reply #264
Also enjoyed Love-You-Lolleh's cameo yesterday. I think someone on here mentioned a few weeks ago that they wondered if he might have a telling contribution left in him. Did really well for the second and was a decent option off the bench.

How we could do with one of his classic 'cut-in and thunderb@stard'.

Reply #265
Also enjoyed Love-You-Lolleh's cameo yesterday. I think someone on here mentioned a few weeks ago that they wondered if he might have a telling contribution left in him. Did really well for the second and was a decent option off the bench.

He's saving it for the final against Uddersfield.

Reply #266

I take it we’ve all seen the picture of Brennan celebrating with Lolley?

Reply #267

He really, really wants to, sometimes to the detriment of the team, but he hasn't quite got "it" yet.
He's another of those players whose style makes me happy, though. I'm glad he had the impact he did.

Reply #268
He really, really wants to, sometimes to the detriment of the team, but he hasn't quite got "it" yet.
He's another of those players whose style makes me happy, though. I'm glad he had the impact he did.

Most of his recent minutes have been as a number 10, which limits his opportunities to cut onto his left and shoot. Brennan’s nicked his space.