Skip to main content
Topic: Poll of the week (Read 2027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Poll of the week

Reply #30
Lets ignore the debacles of Bournemouth and Fulham and talk about last night.

Playing two in CM after being overrun in every recent game, and playing 4 attackers with little defensive responsibly, away at Leicester. Tactically inept or tactical genius?

Inept when it goes wrong. Genius when it goes right.

Cooper, according to his post match interviews, set them up to do something tactically, that the players didn't execute. Perhaps he shouldn't have done. Perhaps he should have accepted that we are the worst team in the division, and packed the middle of the park to keep the score down.

I'm pretty sure that he is playing all the forward players, because he wants us to press up the pitch and harry the opposition there. I agree that is the approach that we need to take, to give ourselves a chance this season. If we sit and try to avoid being picked off, we will be picked off...in the league with the highest combination of pace and technical ability in the world.

Now if the front players don't press effectively and harry the ball, and the defence drops off, making a massive area for an undermanned and overwhelmed midfield pairing to cover...in the league with the highest combination of pace and technical ability in the world...then it will look very whiffy indeed. Almost exactly like last night.

The question becomes, for me, do we keep trying to find a combination of brave players, who can keep having a go....or do we go to the hoping we don't get picked off plan.

In terms of long term progression, I am in favour of the trying to be better approach. Even if we lose. We can try to be a modern football team, or we can gird ourselves for being sheffield undead as a best case, post relegation.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #32
Part of the problem with this being right or wrong thing is what are you trying to achieve. For me it is right to stick with Cooper because I want to see how develops and adapts, because that's what it's about for me. Yes, I want to win too, but sport is about these journeys and I'd like to watch that unfold. Chopping and changing might keep us up, or it might not, keeping Cooper might keep us up, or it might not, but I can't pick and choose outcomes (they aren't guaranteed) I can only pick and choose processes and journeys.

So, was I wrong to want to keep Hughton last year? Well yes, in that we ended up getting promoted but also no because my choice of process and journey was made with my values in mind and as I said at the time Hughton had been given a bum deal and I felt he was therefore owed some support. When we appointed Cooper I was pleased, as he seemed to fit the journey I had been asking for over an extended period, and for that same reason I want that journey to continue now. I think the other option that we might take is a rubbish one of returning to churning through staff and players in the hope we scrape together enough points to satisfy our wealthy owner's ego and I'm not really into that.

So, wrong and right aren't as clear cut as people want them to be.

Reply #33
Isn't 3-5-2 what people have been asking for?
[/quote]

In one particular case for 20+ years…

Reply #34

Inept when it goes wrong. Genius when it goes right.

Cooper, according to his post match interviews, set them up to do something tactically, that the players didn't execute. Perhaps he shouldn't have done. Perhaps he should have accepted that we are the worst team in the division, and packed the middle of the park to keep the score down.

I'm pretty sure that he is playing all the forward players, because he wants us to press up the pitch and harry the opposition there. I agree that is the approach that we need to take, to give ourselves a chance this season. If we sit and try to avoid being picked off, we will be picked off...in the league with the highest combination of pace and technical ability in the world.

Now if the front players don't press effectively and harry the ball, and the defence drops off, making a massive area for an undermanned and overwhelmed midfield pairing to cover...in the league with the highest combination of pace and technical ability in the world...then it will look very whiffy indeed. Almost exactly like last night.

The question becomes, for me, do we keep trying to find a combination of brave players, who can keep having a go....or do we go to the hoping we don't get picked off plan.

In terms of long term progression, I am in favour of the trying to be better approach. Even if we lose. We can try to be a modern football team, or we can gird ourselves for being sheffield undead as a best case, post relegation.

Now this comment is based on not seeing last  nights game, but from what I have seen this season a front 3 or 5 that includes Lingard, MGW and Johnson isn’t pressing sufficiently, nor frankly looks to be able to deliver enough goals at this level.  I was surprised with last nights team, no to your point I don’t want them to become the undead but a little bit of recognition that what’s previously being tried isn’t working would be helpful. 

For the record I’d stick within Cooper until the WC, I suspect the Greek Overlord won’t.

Reply #35
Press conference at 3.30.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #39
Look this us my view  no evidence or clips to back it up. Cooper hasn't been fully involved in signing the majority of the new players ( someone has previously said this is now the normal way in modern football)  as such I think there is a bit of petulance in his team selections. Hughton kept selecting players despite obvious failings  Cooper is doing the same such ss Lingard and Cook.

Reply #42

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
·
3m
There’s still no communication to Steven Cooper despite rumours of imminent sack. Nottingham Forest owners, on it. 🚨🌳 #NFFC

Been told Copper has still chances to stay and have one more opportunity as NFFC head coach.

Reply #43
Lots of Coppers out there.

Reply #44
Look this us my view  no evidence or clips to back it up. Cooper hasn't been fully involved in signing the majority of the new players ( someone has previously said this is now the normal way in modern football)  as such I think there is a bit of petulance in his team selections. Hughton kept selecting players despite obvious failings  Cooper is doing the same such ss Lingard and Cook.

Don't think there's much mystery. Lingard is the chairman('s son)'s pet project. Leaving him out is likely to shorten Cooper's stay dramatically. Cook, he trusts, probably has more premier league experience than anyone else in the squad and is seen as a steadying influence.