Skip to main content
Topic: Poll of the week (Read 2297 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Poll of the week

Reply #15
The Spanish Waiter. One of the nice things about Cooper was that he quickly won the fans over when appointed and we had a united fanbase for once. Other than brief periods under the Frenchman whose name temporarily escapes me, it's something we've not had for a long time. Of course, results on the pitch and the football being played under Cooper helped immensely, but I'm no fan of Benitez at all.

Cooper's shortcomings in the PL seem to be the desire to play the same style and formation in the PL as the Championship. Things we got away with last season are relentlessly punished this season, and it seems that this has destroyed the confidence of many players that they are capable of playing at this level. I read recently that we've used the most players of any team in the PL this season (no surprises there I think), and Cooper is clearly struggling with selection.

One of Cooper's strengths last season was his ability to turn games around, both during play and at half time. I went to countless games last season where we looked average early on, but looked a different team after half time.

The standard of play in the PL has massively improved since we were last there (no surprises there either); if you look at the players being signed by midtable and even lower teams, it is a class apart from any other league. Our biggest weakness was always going to be having to completely overhaul the team and that has left us in a very difficult position. The hope would be that Cooper could get the team working together quickly as he did last season, but that was based on a small core of players; I don't think we've seen any of the new signings showing what they're really capable of yet, and injuries to what would be key players haven't helped.

For those who think that signing last season's loans would have been a possible option, think again. You can get away with Colback covering left back in the Championship, not so I'm the Premier League.

Reply #16

For those who think that signing last season's loans would have been a possible option, think again. You can get away with Colback covering left back in the Championship, not so I'm the Premier League.

I don't think we should only have signed last season's loans but there is a benefit to keeping players who know the team, the club, the manager and style of play. I think if we had Samba, rather than Henderson; Lowe, rather than Toffolo (or Lodi); Garner, rather than Freuler; Zinck, rather than Lingard; and Davis, rather than Awoniyi (or Dennis), we'd be doing much better right now and accomodating the other (obviously needed) signings would be much easier.

I hope and assume it's not the approach the club uses but I see lots of people who call themselves "football analysts" on twitter who seem to take a very "football manager' approach. Assess players against a certain set of metrics for a position get a score - Toffolo is a 75, Lowe is a 72, so we'd prefer Toffolo but that just isn't how football works in the real world.

I realise I'm hopelesly sentimental but, after last season, Cooper had and has the whole of the this season for me. Even if that means a comfortable relegation.

Reply #17

If it had been possible (and i'm not saying it is) some squad continuity is clearly part of the problem. I appreciate there is some scepticism regarding keeping players motivated, style of play, culture of place etc but if you imagine dropping in a whole new batch of staff into a workplace you're going to swimming against sh!t for a while. 

Edit: Or what Simon said. Move along, nothing to see here.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #18
Rafa is such a basic, boring, journeyman choice of manager.

When was the last time he was actually good. He'll show up, do some routine coaching by the book and be home every night for tea.

If we have to change, let's at least have someone with their best days ahead of them who has the hunger to succeed here.

Reply #19
Most of the fan base (including the majority on here) wanted Hughton to be given more time.

A significant amount were also not happy with Coopera appointment.

I think Copper is tactically inept. The 3-5-2 worked well in the champ as we had the players to just bulldoze opposition. The new players are largely irrelevant as he’s been clueless with tactics and formations so far. Last nights set up looks more bizarre the more you look at it. As I’ve pointed out before whenever he tried to change things last year we lost (Cardiff and Luton spring to mind).

Reply #20
The notion that a professional much lauded football coach and manager with a CV that suggests substantial achievement, is tactically inept (when compared with the knowledge of the game of webmongs), is laughable.

Yet these notions persist.

(in people's heads)
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #21
Most of the fan base (including the majority on here) wanted Hughton to be given more time.

A significant amount were also not happy with Coopera appointment.

I think Copper is tactically inept. The 3-5-2 worked well in the champ as we had the players to just bulldoze opposition. The new players are largely irrelevant as he’s been clueless with tactics and formations so far. Last nights set up looks more bizarre the more you look at it. As I’ve pointed out before whenever he tried to change things last year we lost (Cardiff and Luton spring to mind).

I didn't think we played 3-5-2? Either 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2. Isn't 3-5-2 what people have been asking for?

Reply #22
The notion that a professional much lauded football coach and manager with a CV that suggests substantial achievement, is tactically inept (when compared with the knowledge of the game of webmongs), is laughable.

Yet these notions persist.

(in people's heads)

We’d still have Hughton here with our ‘talentless’ squad if you had your way.

Reply #23
Yes we would. So I was almost certainly wrong about that, as people are wrong about all sorts of things, for all sorts of reasons, all the time. I strongly doubt that anyone would have predicted the lightning in a bottle outcome of last season at the outset (at least not from any well founded reasoning). Let alone the main protagonists. Sometimes you have to go with what you have, based on your best judgement, and maximise that situation. If you change circumstances, you do the best that you can with that. The alternative that doesn't happen in the real world remains forever an unknown. It's highly unlikely, but maybe the Hughton team would have come together, got promoted, and led to a better squad more able to compete from the off in the 'ship. We will never know.

What we do know is that your 'riposte' has absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand.

P.S. Our squad is looking relatively talentless without the boost provided by the almost uniquely successful tranche of loans, on which our pattern of play and success was largely based. Early days yet for our recruitment since.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #24
To be honest Tricky refuses to admit he was wrong about Hughton. He still maintains we should have kept him. In my opinion Coopers future has been decided no matter what the supporters think. Its probably nearer 50/50 in the greater fan base rather than the 80/20 ,prior to the Leicester game.

I was sure we would get dubbed last night while many idiots were predicting a score the other way. I'm not a football expert but I can see clearly a team devoid of confidence, talent and spirit.

Reply #25
Lets ignore the debacles of Bournemouth and Fulham and talk about last night.

Playing two in CM after being overrun in every recent game, and playing 4 attackers with little defensive responsibly, away at Leicester. Tactically inept or tactical genius?

Reply #26
To be honest Tricky refuses to admit he was wrong about Hughton.....

To be honest donny, you are a literal idiot. If you can read, you appear not to be able to understand.

Reply #27

To be honest donny, you are a literal idiot. If you can read, you appear not to be able to understand.
  You only admitted it while I was posting, you were still saying Hughton should have been given time well until the end of last season. We all make mistakes and get things wrong and it takes a bit of honesty to admit it.

Reply #28
For the record I gave been wrong many times but ill admit it. On the current Forest side I'm totally right about their lack of ability and I am sure we will finish below d*rby's points. Unfortunately Cooper is acting strange, I don't know why unless it's the signings pushed on to him.

Reply #29
I don't even read Donny's posts now. I suggest you do the same.