Skip to main content
Topic: What's pleasing me today (Read 524170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's pleasing me today

Reply #6690
Talkback is pleasing me today.

After a particularly sh!t day, the opportunity to catch up with a real life talkbacker for a couple of hours, with good food and excellent wine certainly helped.

Please resume your over reactions to the Twitter world.

Reply #6691
I set one of my service containers to BST rather than the UTC it should have been. I have waited an hour, and the attempted fix has worked perfectly.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #6692
My copy of Blood on the Clocktower has arrived.

Reply #6693
I will be completing the sale of my new flat next week.. approx two years after agreeing to buy it. For 'off plan' apartments there is a concession that means you only pay stamp duty on the land component... not the whole price. Lawyer called this morning and said that the taxman was saying I wouldn't qualify for the concession because the numbers were over their thresholds to be eligible. This was news I did not expect nor need. So we read through the rules together and... yeah... the taxman is, thankfully, an idiot and I am not, in fact, $50k poorer than I thought I was when I woke up.

It's comforting, in a way, to see the same carelessness applied to nice middle-class people buying homes, as is systematically applied to anyone with the temerity to claim benefits or low-income concessions.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #6694
50,000 dollery doos!
Yes, I was forced into thick dumb tw@ttery.

Reply #6696
I will be completing the sale of my new flat next week.. approx two years after agreeing to buy it. For 'off plan' apartments there is a concession that means you only pay stamp duty on the land component... not the whole price. Lawyer called this morning and said that the taxman was saying I wouldn't qualify for the concession because the numbers were over their thresholds to be eligible. This was news I did not expect nor need. So we read through the rules together and... yeah... the taxman is, thankfully, an idiot and I am not, in fact, $50k poorer than I thought I was when I woke up.

It's comforting, in a way, to see the same carelessness applied to nice middle-class people buying homes, as is systematically applied to anyone with the temerity to claim benefits or low-income concessions.

Our flat was originally 25% shared ownership, then we stair-cased to 50%, then 75%, then 100%. At each stage nobody seemed to have a scooby how the stamp duty would work. There's more online examples now, but back then googled returned f*ck all. I even explicitly asked my solicitor a few times, and he either ignored me or gave me a very rough figure (which by my calculations was way too low). Anyway, I've ended up paying, by my sums, way less than I should have done. But I just paid what they told me to.

My point being you imagine that huge figures are set in stone and established, and audited, and all sorts like that. But actually it just seemed to be whatever John the solicitor it Putney calculated it to be in his Excel sheet - then you put the money in the Gov bank account. It seems hugely open to abuse to me.

Reply #6697
My point being you imagine that huge figures are set in stone and established, and audited, and all sorts like that. But actually it just seemed to be whatever John the solicitor it Putney calculated it to be in his Excel sheet - then you put the money in the Gov bank account. It seems hugely open to abuse to me.

Think with all that stuff you are reliant on them wanting to protect their professional reputation and wanting not to get sued or prosecuted.

When our solicitor f*cked something up on our house purchase, they went a certain way down the line of contesting that they should pay compensation but ended up paying almost all of what we were asking, rather than actually go to court and have a settlement/judgement against them.

But prior to that, when it turned out that we'd paid too much for something (oh yes, they were incompetent in multiple ways - if you are ever looking for a solicitor in Crouch End I have a strong unrecommend), it got picked up in some kind of internal audit and we got a cheque six months after we moved in.

Reply #6698
Just shows it’s good to be open to the possibility that both the trained professional you are paying for, and the branch of officialdom you’re dealing with, probably struggle with understanding all that they are tasked with… and it’s always a good idea to try and understand as much as you can so you can check their homework.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #6699
After two weeks of being missing the TV and Sky remote for the screen in the kitchen has turned up. Buried in a box of duplo. I’d spent ages looking for both.

I had ordered a new sky remote after a week as I wanted to use the tv again but as it’s still within the 30 days Amazon can have it back.

Reply #6700
I was annoyed when I couldnt find a battery percentage indicator in android 12. Now I have.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #6702
Get in the correct thread with your negativity. Only happy thoughts here.

Reply #6703
Some kielbasa done on the barbecue, and later my favourite summer beer: DISCO FORKLIFT TRUCK.

Reply #6704
My new snooker cue arrived today. I splashed out a bit on a really decent cue and it is worth every penny. It has attachments allowing the cue to be extended and the weight feels perfect. One of my ambitions in life is to have a proper snooker table and an American Pool table so that I can just play the game that I love so much whenever I want.