Skip to main content
Topic: What's pleasing me today (Read 540617 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's pleasing me today

Reply #6660
Bookmarking the Prem page on the BBC sport website. And removing the Championship one.

Reply #6663
Just spent far too much money on an outdoor speaker for a bbq tomorrow that I can plug into Alexa. Carrot for who can guess what song I'll be using to test this set up. I'll be testing it a lot. Hopefully the estate will understand.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #6664
I have some tribit speakers that are awesome for this - you can pair two sets together, so they become a separate left and right. And loud. Not so sure about the alexa bit.

I am about to go to the pub (it may take me some time). That is pleasing me.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #6665
Just spent far too much money on an outdoor speaker for a bbq tomorrow that I can plug into Alexa. Carrot for who can guess what song I'll be using to test this set up. I'll be testing it a lot. Hopefully the estate will understand.

'Enjoy the Silence'?

Reply #6666
Got a nice quiet train back to London. Think everyone is out celebrating the platty joobs.

Reply #6667
Pleasing for me, as well as the general public, that NZ have decided to put some cricket on this weekend.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #6668
Testing negative for the Rona, so the US govt will let me fly home tomorrow.

Reply #6670
After multiple phone calls, faxes and email over the course of the last two weeks, I finally have an appointment to get my cast removed. The quality of healthcare delivery here is excellent, but it does sometimes require a little bit of patience and tenacity to get effectively engaged with the system.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #6671
Really faxes?  Haven't sent/seen one for many years now.

Reply #6672
Really faxes?  Haven't sent/seen one for many years now.

Unless something has radically changed in the last few years the NHS is still heavily dependent on fax machines. I can tell you some stories.

Reply #6673
My dealings with them haven't been extensive but it's been email/text rather than fax.

Reply #6674
My dealings with them haven't been extensive but it's been email/text rather than fax.

Internally there's still an awful lot of faxing though. I was initially treated for my injury in Toronto, which is where it happened, which is four hours away from where I live. So in order to continue my treatment locally I needed a referral from the doctor in Toronto to the clinic here, which they needed to fax over. Which magically never arrived, so I had the Toronto hospital send it to me so that I could then both fax and email it to the local clinic. Which they never acknowledged or responded to until I had called them multiple times, and they still couldn't find until I suggested that maybe the only way of them getting it would be for me to drive down there and present them with a hard copy, at which point they decided they probably could find it if they looked properly.

The NHS has similar problems. I worked with one particular hospital, a good sized facility in a mid sized provincial town, that had invested several hundreds of thousands of pounds in an integrated bed management system using wireless telephones. This meant that a patient could be checked into a ward from the nursing station, showing the bed as occupied, and then when they were moved they were checked out the bed was shown as in need of cleaning. This sent a message to the cleaning team so that they could do their piece, then using their phone show it as having been cleaned which would update the system to show the bed as available so that A&E or surgery teams could then allocate the next patient to it, and so on.

Two years after implementing this system, bed management was still being done by a nurse walking each ward once an hour, marking bed status on a piece of paper, and then faxing it to a central bed management team who were responsible for fielding all bed allocation calls.