Skip to main content
Topic: The new fitness thread (Read 145064 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The new fitness thread

Reply #1740
I've got a bit to lose so I was hoping for some improved metabolic rate, so it's not a straight up reprofiling job, as well as an improved core.

I have a mate who I used to do a circuit set once a week, lap of Holme Pierpont doing a station every 250m so looking to resurrect that.

I have a set of free weights but not desperate to go the full meathead and buy a bench if I don't need to.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #1741
One of the big limiters to free weights is setup time. It's a pain in the arse to change weights between exercises. I don't like to lift a bar from the ground, on account of joint problems. If you don't mind that, there's no reason a light weight clean and jerk type action shouldn't do the trick. It's going to be a different range of muscles, but the trick is to get the balance of all exercises to work muscle groups equally and not disproportionately.

HIT is good for metabolic rate (in many cases). HIT when running is hard, and may lead to tiredness/falling over/injury. On a bike is best...but bike (trainer) based HIT (good for cardiovascular) is bad for running muscles - it tends to be a shorter action so can bind up your calves and thighs (I had a mate who was in the london sprint relay team with John Regis, and they didn't let them train on a bike). At your level you would probably not see much negative from it, if you are running between sessions to stretch out your muscles.

Non load bearing yoga stretches are good at keeping things stretched out and moving well. Ironically.

All of this can take a lot of time though. I am time limited and really try to do the least, but most effective. This is sub optimal, but there have been improvements.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #1742
HIT I like the sound of but think I'll look to do this on the rower. When it all goes a bit Andrew Marr at least I haven't got too far to fall.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #1743
You really taking fitness advice from Tricky?

Reply #1744
Try not to think of it advice, more as a discussion.

I have seen people get fit, you know?
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #1745
Mrs Shady didn't get out of bed until 8:50 so I missed the start of parkrun but did it anyway. Expect my official time to be 30-31 minutes (28:30 on my watch).

Reply #1746
Just entered the annual cockney mafia ballot of disappointment. Seb Coe is such a prick.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #1747
Same

Reply #1748
Can you get injury deferrals if you're successful? I want to enter but highly doubt my achilles will be recovered in time for me to run it in 23.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #1749
Imagine that you are fit. Pretend to yourself that you can actually get in.

Work it out later if it turns out that you weren't pretending.

Reply #1750
Can you get injury deferrals if you're successful? I want to enter but highly doubt my achilles will be recovered in time for me to run it in 23.

I believe there's a cut off but not a particularly generous one. I saw an interview a while ago where its oversold but they get a consistent amount of drop outs.
Europe. It's happening.