Skip to main content
Topic: Poll of the week (Read 2301 times) previous topic - next topic

Poll of the week

If Twitter was to be our chief source of guidance, then we would have been looking for a new manager after the Newcastle game and like a stopped clock Donny will always be right eventually so should we just accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, U2 will get old. The situation seems to have crossed a lot of members threshold. For me it hasn't, we are still 24 places better off than we were a year ago, we still overachieved last year, we are still trying to band together a team against far more established outfits. I'm not sure if it's a thing nowadays but it seems to be you're only allowed to cite problems once then they become excuses, these are issues we will have to battle with all year and should it end in relegation that isn't failure, it is better to have loved and to have lost than have listened to an album by Oliver Newton John. And whilst of course it is very easy to be tactical genius when the tools at your disposal are superior to the ones held by the other guy, making a substitution 4 minutes earlier isn't going to regularly bridge a gap in resource. What would be tragic to me would be throwing away the great leap forward made last year, top level football looked lost to us, the preserve of big clubs like Norwich, Palace & Bournemouth. We're ere marra, f*cking ere. For me a big portion of the planning for this season should be for next seasons promotion campaign and we currently have the best man for the job. Sure it's fun to be a manchild and want everything yesterday, but betterer, but I for one hope we stick for a while longer yet, but this isn't about 5 games. I'll be avoiding SSN today because I fear we won't.   
Europe. It's happening.

Re: Poll of the week

Reply #1
  I'm with ingo. As I predicted I would be this time last year. Stick with the man who overachieved  to give us the massive challenge that we have. It may prove insurmountable. It may not.

He has a method that will work. Does he have the players? Can he work with them and try to get what he wants from them,  or at least from enough of them? He's been parachuted into the hardest league in the world,  with a scratch side,  of mostly players who haven't played at the level. What were you expecting? *

Give him a chance.

* the wrong thing,  you f*cking idiot. Exactly as I tried to warn you.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #2
It was only a very small minority who wanted Hughton out.

I’m seeing nothing that is making me think he can turn this around. We got worse after he had a fortnight to prepare for last night.

I’m indifferent, loved last season and him getting promotion but it’s now this season and I want to stay in the PL.

He hasn’t signed his contract so wouldn’t be here for next years promotion push anyway.

Reply #3
Stay. Just. Wouldn't be a question at all for me if we had the same points but looked like improving.
We are going to look like absolute tools if we stick by him, get relegated, and he leaves at the end of his contract.
He needs this more than we do though. We go down and we've got a decent squad for next season regardless. This is his big shot for a Prem job. Fail here, and he'll be on the Prem sh!tlist for a while.

Reply #4
I want ut to work for Cooper, we owe him but it won't, its OK getting relegated and I have no issues with that. However I do have issues with the way we go down. If it's without a fight I do care. You would gave to be deluded if you think fans will accept having four points at Xmas.

I think Cooper  will go one way or another this week, if there was signs of improvement he would get the chance but we are getting worse not better. The players are turning on each other, that's a dressing room in turmoil. What next fetch a fan in to talk to the team.

Reply #5
  I'm with ingo. As I predicted I would be this time last year. Stick with the man who overachieved  to give us the massive challenge that we have. It may prove insurmountable. It may not.

He has a method that will work. Does he have the players? Can he work with them and try to get what he wants from them,  or at least from enough of them? He's been parachuted into the hardest league in the world,  with a scratch side,  of mostly players who haven't played at the level. What were you expecting? *

Give him a chance.

Much of the above is true. And you can join JP in the “I told you so” club and w@nk each other off about your football genius whilst patronising everyone else.

I fully agree with you about the tactical deficits in the team. However, SSC is clearly not learning. He is inching his way forward: he’s moved on from 3-5-2 to what was effectively 4-2-3-1 with the “3” having no defensive responsibilities, except, in Lingard’s case, once again giving the ball away 25y out from our goal. His in game management (as I have pointed out and been shot down) is poor.

Leicester are a decent side who played well and found their mojo. But we made them look like Man City. It was clear after five minutes last night the we were getting overrun in midfield. He did nothing about it and for some reason didn’t anticipate it. His substitutions at half time did nothing to address that. Only when the game was lost and the players knackered did he move to three in midfield with players who could look after the ball. His after game comments made no sense on this issue.

Whatever his system is (or “process” as he likes to call it) it needs to change fast. We are going backwards.

Reply #6
Much of the above is true. And you can join JP in the “I told you so” club and w@nk each other off about your football genius whilst patronising everyone else.......

Just to be clear here. You might note, that in my comments I have not relied on any of my football genius. All I have relied on is your idiotic misplaced expectation, ADHD level impatience, and lack of real support.

It's nothing about football, when all you can see is some very blunt and rusty spoons wanting to cut out a potentially very viable organ, or screaming until they are sick. Just because they aren't having their tummies tickled, and being made to feel nice.  The man is sitting on a bomb.   Perhaps actual support might help, rather than screaming in his ear with frothing chimp level of self entitlement showing extremely short memories?

JP deserves a good w@nk for his relative football genius. If we are comparing him to people who thought it would be easy,   and now are cross because we are coming from miles behind. It was never going to be easy,  there were always going to be mistakes and setbacks. Which is on record, but clearly didn't permeate the thick skulls of the normal frothing at the mouth brigade that drive consensus.

It's not entirely coopers fault that much of the fan base has the intelligence of plankton. I wish I could sack the moaners, not the manager. If the benchmark is at least perfection, ideally miracle level performance, then we will very soon sh!t up the advances we have made, and end up worse than we were.

f*cking Rafa? Have a good look at yourselves and what you are doing.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #7

Just to be clear here. You might note, that in my comments I have not relied on any of my football genius. All I have relied on is your idiotic misplaced expectation, ADHD level impatience, and lack of real support.

It's nothing about football, when all you can see is some very blunt and rusty spoons wanting to cut out a potentially very viable organ, or screaming until they are sick. Just because they aren't having their tummies tickled, and being made to feel nice.  The man is sitting on a bomb.   Perhaps actual support might help, rather than screaming in his ear with frothing chimp level of self entitlement showing extremely short memories?

JP deserves a good w@nk for his relative football genius. If we are comparing him to people who thought it would be easy,   and now are cross because we are coming from miles behind. It was never going to be easy,  there were always going to be mistakes and setbacks. Which is on record, but clearly didn't permeate the thick skulls of the normal frothing at the mouth brigade that drive consensus.

It's not entirely coopers fault that much of the fan base has the intelligence of plankton. I wish I could sack the moaners, not the manager. If the benchmark is at least perfection, ideally miracle level performance, then we will very soon sh!t up the advances we have made, and end up worse than we were.

f*cking Rafa? Have a good look at yourselves and what you are doing.

For the record. I’ve said no thanks to Rafa and been extremely critical of him historically and want Cooper to stay. Absolving him of all responsibility is, however, incorrect.  I’d agree that some players are not performing well (Lodi, Lingard), some are injured (Richards, Niakhate), some are clearly not up to snuff (Cook, Kouyate) and some have not played at all (Bade, Biancone).

I stand by my comment that playing the right players in the right formation will result in better performances and hopefully better results. Cooper has a role to play in that.

Happy for you debate that specific point with me without swearing, ranting and giving me medical diagnoses I don’t have.

Reply #8
Who is the '1'? If this was a newly declared Russian republic, we'd be able to out this b@stard straight away.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #9

Give him a chance.

Lots of sense from our Leader here. As I've probably said elsewhere, give Cooper until the WC. If there are signs of improvement and we might survive or if not then look like we'd be a good bet to win next year's Championship, stick with him for the rest of the season regardless.

Reply #10
Guardian football correspondent, who has presumably been briefed by the club, says:

"Nottingham Forest are considering Rafael Benítez as a potential replacement for Steve Cooper, who is fighting to save his job after a 4-0 defeat at Leicester City left his side bottom of the Premier League.

Cooper’s future is in extreme doubt after five successive defeats. There is an expectation that the 42-year-old will be sacked soon, even though he is the manager who guided Forest back into the Premier League for the first time in 23 years.

Forest invested heavily after promotion, spending more than £150m on 23 signings during a whirlwind summer. Cooper, appointed in September 2021 when the club were bottom of the Championship, has found it understandably difficult to integrate so many players.

Cooper, who is regarded by the Football Association as a potential future England manager, stalled after Forest offered him a new deal in the summer. Forest have not won since beating West Ham on 14 August and have since suffered embarrassing capitulations from winning positions at home to fellow promoted teams Bournemouth and Fulham.

A disastrous run has left Cooper on thin ice and it is understood that Forest’s owner, Evangelos Marinakis, is interested in appointing Benítez. The former Liverpool, Newcastle and Real Madrid manager has been out of work since being fired by Everton in January. He has said that he would like to work in the Premier League again.

Although his time at Everton went badly his organisational qualities helped him keep Newcastle in the Premier League after he won promotion with them in 2017.

Sean Dyche is another potential option for Forest. Dyche has been out of work since being fired by Burnley in April. He has a wealth of experience of keeping a struggling team in the Premier League."

'Extreme doubt' presumably means they are trying to agree terms with a replacement before the Villa game in a week's time.

Reply #11
For the record. I’ve said no thanks to Rafa and been extremely critical of him historically and want Cooper to stay. Absolving him of all responsibility is, however, incorrect.  I’d agree that some players are not performing well (Lodi, Lingard), some are injured (Richards, Niakhate), some are clearly not up to snuff (Cook, Kouyate) and some have not played at all (Bade, Biancone).

I stand by my comment that playing the right players in the right formation will result in better performances and hopefully better results. Cooper has a role to play in that.

Happy for you debate that specific point with me without swearing, ranting and giving me medical diagnoses I don’t have.

I am using 'you' here, to appeal directly to the reader for whom the cap fits. I find that one has to speak to these people in simple language that they can understand. One as esteemed as the great guru is perfectly capable of unpicking the sentiment, from the rhetoric, I'm sure.

You might observe that absolving Cooper of all responsibility is not something that anyone has done. Everyone is fallible. I'd just rather embrace the learning journey of 'the current one' and see where it carries us, than start again with 'the next one'. With all the disruption and returning to go, that entails.

Reply #12
It just seems really odd he didn't sign a new contract - I would have grabbed the pen the second terms were agreed. I can only imagine he has great belief in his abilities and was hoping to get a "big" job without compensation - seems a big call, presumably any contract on offer would have given life changing levels of compensation if sacked.

Reply #13
The not signing of a contract is an enigma. It just doesn't make any sense, or at least doesn't to me as I'm honest enough to admit.

Reply #14

I am using 'you' here, to appeal directly to the reader for whom the cap fits. I find that one has to speak to these people in simple language that they can understand. One as esteemed as the great guru is perfectly capable of unpicking the sentiment, from the rhetoric, I'm sure.

You might observe that absolving Cooper of all responsibility is not something that anyone has done. Everyone is fallible. I'd just rather embrace the learning journey of 'the current one' and see where it carries us, than start again with 'the next one'. With all the disruption and returning to go, that entails.

Then we can agree.