Skip to main content
Topic: Shock horror... (Read 5913 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Shock horror...

Reply #330
I can understand that. Some people feel defined by the club they support. Who likes it when a broad section of the sports media ridicules the club? 

No-one likes it, but it’s football bants. It comes with the territory. We’re in the big league now.

As they say, what’s worse than being talked about…

Reply #331
https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2022/09/18/report-nottingham-forest-want-steve-cooper-to-sign-new-deal/

https://theathletic.com/news/nottingham-forest-steve-cooper-contract/nHFlPS4zMLpY/

The first looks like a fan site with nothing attributed beyond 'what someone reckons', while the Athletic story quoting the owner is from a couple of days after the play-off final in May. I'm not sure either prove anything or move the debate on any further.

Reply #332
The first looks like a fan site with nothing attributed beyond 'what someone reckons', while the Athletic story quoting the owner is from a couple of days after the play-off final in May. I'm not sure either prove anything or move the debate on any further.

I’ve no doubt Daniel Taylor will be busy penning an anti owner article, if it was the owners not offering a deal I’m sure we would find out.

Reply #334
Did Phil and Holly jump the queue for that as well?
Tramadoled up to the eyeballs.

Reply #335
Mail now reporting Marinakis considering axing chief exec, director of recruitment and chief scout as well.

Reply #336
Mail now reporting Marinakis considering axing chief exec, director of recruitment and chief scout as well.

Mercy
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #337

I hope none of those guys have a bakery in the family.
Europe. It's happening.

Reply #338
To be fair we have Miltiadis, all these other guys seem a bit superfluous.

Reply #339
If cooper was going into a club where the squad weren’t cohesive due to the number of new players, he would be an obvious choice to deliver that. If you said to him that the team have a habit of conceding quickly again after a goal goes in, he would have in his mind a clear blueprint to resolve the problem or at least address it.

I don’t think we can get anyone better for those two issues. Whether that’s enough to keep us up I don’t know but it probably is.

Getting rid of Dane Murphy seems a bit nuts because again, he came in as a young, talented executive. I don’t see that having changed. All it would do is increase the players nervousness and throw away the key things that supposedly tempted them here in the first place.

Bournemouth was the killer for me, losing from a half time lead and we looked leggy and tired in the second half mainly due to chasing the ball at Man City days before. Since that game we have just been rinsing and repeating.

I think there needs to be a more wholesale change of the first team selection, just to try and stabilise without the previous x games impacting the same players as before.

So time to give Henderson a rest
Bring mangala in
Throw one or two U21 players in
Playing Dennis alongside someone other than Johnson
Grab that ex Blackpool winger back from Olympiakos
Just give the team a different look. It may not even be the best XI but it would still be quality and enough to at least compete without the collective mental fart when conceding one.

A bit if stability and close games where we are competing, you can start reintroducing the first choicers into a side without the current conceding problems.

Regarding the contract. I get what Cooper is saying but it’s f*cking weird. I’m assuming it’s massively better terms than before, so by not signing he is hurting himself financially, makes it easier for the club to terminate his contract and most of all, doesn’t show a great deal of personal commitment to the team themselves. Fine, don’t spend a second thinking of yourself, but sign the thing and 10 seconds later go back to not giving a f*ck.

I just don’t understand the motivation with not signing it, if you take his fondness for the club at face value.

Of course I’m not certain the contract is there to be signed
*today*….
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #340
My only hope is that Marinakis, being a savvy operator, will be well aware of how things went for the last owner and won’t want to be tarred with the same brush. Yes yes I know he fires at will at Olympiakos but their situation is very different where they are expected to win every single game and qualify for the CL.

He seems to communicate a lot with Cooper so I’m keeping fingers crossed that the noise is just negative press and speculation by spotty teens w@nking away on twitter pretending to have ‘sources’

I did that once for a laugh and had a made up rumour quoted as fact in the national press - and that was without any effort and without the melting pot which is the PL media circus hungry for anything

Tldr; hopefully marinakis isn’t a c*nt and the rumours are bs

Reply #341
I've played that game a few times before. It's always gratifying to hear someone else quote a "source close to the club", or some such, when broadcasting something entirely made up, from a position of zero knowledge.
This post does not consist of knowns. It does not even consist of known unknowns. It is, in fact, complete horsesh!t.

Reply #342
I'm still in a bit of shock from this game. Were we really that bad? Was Lodi genuinely awful? Did Cooper not see that gulf in midfield between our defence and the 4 forward players who were largely uninvolved. Is it my armchair arrogance that is wrong in thinking we desperately need another body (who isn't Lingard) in central midfield?

I can only think that Cooper believes that if the defensive players do as the plan suggests, we will get the ball to the forward players and score loads. Taking Kouyate and OBrien off at half time was quite a statement.

Reply #343
Kouyate looked like he wasn’t sure whether he was playing centre half in a 352 or central midfield in a 4231. It left O’Brien with a hell of a lot to do and while he wasn’t great he could count himself unlucky to be subbed rather than helped out.

We’re set up for a transition that never comes. Get some bodies in midfield and try to nick a 1-0, rather than hoping we’ll be on the right end of a 4-3 (which looked like Monday’s plan).

Reply #344
We’re set up for a transition that never comes. Get some bodies in midfield and try to nick a 1-0, rather than hoping we’ll be on the right end of a 4-3 (which looked like Monday’s plan).

Agreed.  The other problem is that the team's confidence has been wrecked, which makes it more difficult for them to have the mentality to go for 4-3 at the moment.  We need a reset.  Nicking a 1-0 would be great, but there might be a step or two before that - firstly getting a draw, then keeping a clean sheet (whether we score or not), and then nicking a 1-0.